Malcolm X’s family has filed a $100 million wrongful death lawsuit against the NYPD, the state of New York, and federal agencies, alleging that the government concealed evidence in the murder of the activist.
Tuesday marked 58 years since the civil rights leader’s assassination. Per ABC 17, daughters Qubilah Shabazz, age 62, and Ilyasah Shabazz, 60, appeared at a news conference alongside attorney Ben Crump to give a “formal notice” of the legal action.
The broadcast occurred at the Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Education Center located in NYC. It was previously known as the Audubon Ballroom, where Malcolm X was murdered on Feb. 21, 1965.
The lawsuit is filed against the city of New York, the state, the New York Police Department, district attorney offices, the FBI, CIA, and other government agencies, according to CBS News.
In 2021, a $36 million settlement was reached due to the wrongful conviction of two men who were denounced from the case, Muhammad Aziz and Khalil Islam.
In the court hiring, Judge Ellen Biben said, “I regret that this court cannot undo the serious miscarriage of justice. There can be no question that this is a case that cries out for fundamental justice.”
Ben Crump referred back to a multi-million dollar settlement for the two men, saying, “The rhetorical question is this: if the government compensated the two gentlemen that were wrongfully convicted for the assassination of Malcolm X with tens of millions of dollars, then what is to be the compensation for the daughters who suffered the most from the assassination of Malcolm X?”
Crump continued, “we intend to have vigorous litigation of this matter, to have discovery to be able to take depositions of the individuals who are still alive, 58 years later, to make sure that some measure of justice can be given to Malcolm X’s daughters. The truth of what happened and who was involved has always been critical.”
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Government is resolute to ensure all-inclusive access to education – Bawumia
- New parliament: PM Modi inaugurates building amid opposition boycott
- Period poverty: ‘I don’t want anyone else to use rags for sanitary pads’
- How prosperity fuels dowry demand in India
- US debt ceiling deal ready for Congress vote, Joe Biden says
- Erdogan hails election victory but Turkey left divided
- Covid was not a cover-up for corruption – Akufo-Addo
- Sanitary pads should be tax-free; not menstrual luxury – Rosetta Ntriwaah Boakye
- Venice Biennale: The woman behind the whirlwind festival
- betPawa PL: Medeama go four points clear; Hearts of Oak lose against Legon Cities
- Kamaldeen Sulemana scores twice as Southampton draw with Liverpool
- Leicester suffer Premier League relegation despite win over West Ham
- Leeds United relegated after final day defeat to Tottenham
- Dealing with absenteeism during menstruation; sanitary pad bank to aid girls in Obuasi
- We shall overcome our present economic difficulties- Akufo-Addo