Bruno Fernandes’ superb 78th-minute free-kick gave Manchester United victory in a thrilling FA Cup tie with old rivals Liverpool at Old Trafford.
Liverpool led a fantastic contest through Mohamed Salah, who then equalised after Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford had struck for the hosts either side of the break.
But in a game which had everything last week’s drab stalemate between this pair at Anfield lacked, Fernandes came off the bench to have the final word after Fabinho had fouled Edinson Cavani on the edge of the area.
Fernandes might have been slightly off the pace in recent games but when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer needed his £47m inspiration to come up with another special moment, the Portuguese delivered, bending his shot round the wall and beyond Allison’s reach.
The victory earns United a home meeting with an in-form West Ham side managed by former boss David Moyes in the fifth round.
But the search for form goes on for Liverpool, whose only win in seven games since that seven-goal hammering of Crystal Palace came against Aston Villa’s kids in the last round, and who have a meeting with Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham looming on Thursday.
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- Government’s new tax measures are anti-business – Mark Aboagye
- Ghana is not poor, we are only being poorly managed – Dr. Ali-Nakyea
- Former MP files nomination with a vow to win back Daboya/Makarigu seat
- ECG’s swoop in Nungua District identifies 48 illegal connections
- Playback: PM Express discuss IMF Programme conditionalities
- I didn’t attend the seminary to become a Priest – Rev. Akua Boateng
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- God’s Ministers key to national decision-making – New EC Board member
- Don’t expect normal procedures when the military is called into action – Brigadier Aggrey Quarshie
- Agric Minister woos rice investors in Thailand to Ghana
- ‘Ghana Today’ platform initiative is good but not enough – Executive Director of Penplusbytes
- I’m not disappointed ‘Downflat Remix’ wasn’t a hit – Kelvyn Boy
- Nyarko is a helpless romantic in new single ‘You’
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mineral companies
- Ghanaians in diaspora urged to showcase identity and culture