Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu has issued a nine-line whip for Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta’s dismissal.
A nine-line whip is an instruction given to Members of Parliament by their leader telling them they must vote in a particular way.
If the members fail to follow through with the wishes of the leader, there could be consequences.
Speaking in an interview on Joy FM’s Midday News on Thursday, Mr. Iddrisu said he has asked the Minority Chief Whip, Muntaka Mubarak and Deputy Minority Whip, Ahmed Ibrahim to carry through with the order.
In Parliamentary procedure it is a three-lined whip however the Minority Leader stressed that “I have issued a nine-line whip, not even three-line whip, three times three … and we will stand strong on this matter,” he said.
In a related development, the Deputy Minority Whip, Ahmed Ibrahim has also filed a motion of censure against the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta.
The Banda Ahenkro MP at a press briefing in Parliament on Tuesday, said both Majority and Minority leaders have already commenced discussion about the vote of censure against Mr. Ofori-Atta.
“The Honourable Haruna Iddrisu said it in a business committee yesterday. The motion is ready, he did not want to surprise the Majority Leader,” Mr. Banda said.
According to the Minority Caucus, Mr. Ofori-Atta is incompetent and is to blame for the current economic woes of Ghanaians hence must be relieved of his position.
Meanwhile, Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin has admitted the motion of censure to remove embattled Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo
- IMF Executive Board approves US$3bn under new Extended Fund Facility arrangement for Sri Lanka
- 10 enthralling reasons to tune into Joy Prime channel
- Abolish Section 27 of CAP 127 which makes Islamic marriages invalid – Dwomoh