Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority in Parliament has cautioned the government to discard its plan to sell off the abandoned Saglemi Housing project.
The facility birthed by the erstwhile National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration, was meant to be a 5,000-residential unit facility to ease the accommodation deficit in the country.
It sits on a 300-acre land with one to three-bedroom flats for low-income earners. But since the NDC left office in 2017, the project has been mired in controversy with two former government officials being prosecuted.
Last week, the Works and Housing Minister, Francis Asenso Boakye announced plans to privatise the project.
But speaking during a tour of the facility on Tuesday, the Minority Spokesperson for Works and Housing, Vincent Oppong Asamoah warned government to ditch the privatisation efforts.
According to him, the project is viable therefore “government should be compelled to look for funds to complete the project instead of privatisation.”
This, he said should be the task of Parliament's Works and Housing Committee.
Mr Oppong Asamoah stated that the problem with the project stems from the government's refusal to prioritise the housing project despite borrowing numerous times.
“For six years this government decided that this project should be left in the bush and if you look around, the thievery that has happened here so that at the end of it, they will have the opportunity to sell it to their cronies and they take it cheaply,” he said.
He threatened that any private developer that would partner with government to complete the project will be kicked out if the NDC comes to power in 2024.
“We wouldn’t want any private developer to come in at all … because it should remain affordable,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
15 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
15 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
16 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
16 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
20 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
32 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
35 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
50 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
1 hour -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
1 hour -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours