Andy Murray will begin his 2021 season at the Delray Beach Open next month after accepting a wildcard for the ATP 250 tournament, the men’s tour said on Saturday.
The former world number one, whose has slipped to 122nd in the rankings, will join defending champion Reilly Opelka, top-ranked American John Isner and Canada’s Milos Raonic in the Florida field.
The tournament takes place from January 7-13, after being moved from its traditional February slot, and will serve as part of the preparations for the Australian Open Grand Slam, which will begin three weeks later than scheduled on February 8 due to Covid-19 health and safety measures.
Murray, a three-times Grand Slam champion, underwent hip resurfacing surgery in January last year but returned to win the Antwerp title seven months later — his first since 2017.
The 33-year-old Briton missed most of the 2020 season due to complications with his hip and struggled for form on his return after the Covid-19 hiatus, suffering a second-round defeat in the US Open before falling in the opening round at Roland Garros.
He ended 2020 with a loss to Fernando Verdasco in Cologne and has been gearing up for the new season by taking part in the LTA’s Battle of the Brits exhibition tournament.
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Trader jailed for causing harm to ‘Good Samaritan’
- Stonebwoy revisits VGMA brawl with Shatta Wale on The Breakfast Club
- UTAG-GIJ threatens to withdraw from UniMac merger
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Minority Caucus meeting over removal of Minority leadership postponed for the second time
- Will Smith and Martin Lawrence returning for fourth ‘Bad Boys’ movie
- Domelevo yet to receive emoluments nearly 3 years after being ‘forced out’
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- Hubtel wins big at Ghana Fintech Awards 2022
- ‘Kamaldeen feels he can help Southampton immediately’ – Nathan Jones
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- 34 women arrested for prostitution in Tema, each granted GHs5k bail each
- Ex-soldier sues government, colleagues over sexual abuse
- aYo insurance covers over 8 million Ghanaians in 5 years
- Every Premier League signing and sale made in the January 2023 transfer window
- Southampton confirm signing of Black Stars winger Kamaldeen Sulemana
- Husband tells wife to pay him 30% of her salary for using their home office to work
- Ukraine deserves to join Nato, says new Czech leader
- CHAN 2022: Senegal see off Madagascar to set up final with Algeria
- Sex and no sleep may be killing endangered quolls – Research