Audio By Carbonatix
Former Member of Parliament for Sekondi and former Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Andrew Egyapa Mercer, has accused the National Democratic Congress (NDC) of misleading Ghanaian youth with promises of increased job opportunities, particularly in the security services.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile programme on Saturday, March 14, Mr Mercer said the government’s decision to expand the age eligibility for recruitment from 25 to 35 years significantly contributed to the surge in applicants, despite the limited number of available positions.
“I am not surprised people are calling this a Ponzi scheme because all this is self-induced,” he said. “Previously, the eligibility bracket was 18 to 25 — a seven-year bracket. Then you increased it by ten years, moving the age limit from 25 to 35. What did you expect would happen? The numbers would increase by that decision alone, when IMF conditions limit your recruitment space to 5,000.”
His remarks follow the announcement by the Interior Minister, Mubarak Mohammed-Muntaka, that only 5,000 applicants will be recruited into the various security services in the first phase of the ongoing nationwide exercise.
Addressing a press conference in Parliament, the minister explained that although hundreds of thousands of candidates had progressed through the selection stages, the government could only absorb a limited number due to fiscal constraints.
He added that the government remains committed to creating employment opportunities for young people across other sectors of the economy.
Latest Stories
-
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
15 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
15 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
16 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
16 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
20 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
32 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
35 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
50 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
1 hour -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
1 hour -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours