The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has denied knowledge of all but 1 of 200 persons in the Ashanti Region who are reported to have defected to the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
The Oforikrom Constituency Youth Organiser of the NDC, Emmanuel Reagan Fynn, refuted the assertion that the alleged persons are members of the party during an interview with Joy News.
He noted however that one of them is an embittered NDC regional executive.
“Those acclaimed individuals are not known in the NDC, and we don’t know them, with the exception of the other guy. Admittedly, he was a branch Youth organiser who contested and lost massively. He then decided to come to the constituency level where he lost massively again. So out of the defeat, he thought he’d leave the NDC,” he said.
The persons who are said to have defected say their decision is anchored on the evidence of the remarkable performance by the ruling party, as opposed to the NDC’s tenure in office.
They cited, amongst others, the construction of roads and a revamp of the country’s educational infrastructure in the Region as a cause of their defection to the NPP.
This notwithstanding, NDC Youth Organiser remains optimistic that the party will garner sufficient votes in the upcoming Presidential and Parliamentary elections.
Meanwhile, incumbent MP for Oforikrom Constituency, Dr, Emmanuel Marfo believes the defection works to the NPP’s advantage.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- Joy Learning facilitator Stella Gyimaah Larbi adjudged overall best teacher for 2022
- Social media users impressed with Black Sherif’s ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report