Chief Justice, Georgina Theodora Wood, has sworn in 13 new judges to the High Court at a short ceremony, Friday.
The judges are Jennifer Anne Myers Ahmed, Kofi Nyanteh Akuffo, Emmanuel Senyo Amedahe, Samuel Asare-Nyarko, and Emmanuel Lodoh.
Others are Sedina Agbemava, Rita Agyeman-Badu, Ellen Vivian Amoah, Cecilia Naa Shormeh Davis, Charles Edward Ekow Baiden, Kwasi Anokye Gyimah, Richard Osei-Hwere and Francis Apangabund Achibonga.
The new judges replace those removed from office following Anas Aremeyaw Anas exposé on judicial corruption last year.
Some lower court judges and High Court judges were sacked after Anas’ two-year investigative report that shows the judges allegedly taking bribes to influence justice.
The dismissed judges were part of some 34 justices said to have taken bribes in what became the biggest bribery scandal to hit the country. There were 22 inferior court judges all of whom have been dismissed with 12 High Court justices involved.
Supreme Court judge, Justice Sophia Akuffo asked the new judges to uphold the highest level of integrity since those they are replacing were removed for their lack of integrity.
Vice President of the Ghana Bar Association (GBA), Tony Forson, said the Association will continue to defend the bench at all times.
Deputy Attorney General, Dominic Ayine, asked the new judges to be circumspect with their public comments.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, January 16, 2019
- Angel-Zoe Foundation donates to James Camp Prison, Borstal Home
- NAM 1 extradition should be easy – Antwi-Danso refutes contrary views
- Fire, explosions hit Michel Camp armoury
- Director of Education bemoans poor teacher competency in literacy, numeracy
- “Yellowman of Aleppo” has been wearing only yellow for 35 years
- 5 reasons tourists won’t want to skip a trip to Ghana in 2019
- World's 'loneliest' frog gets a date
- EOCO freezes NAM1’s accounts
- A true African patriot is free - Rawlings lauds Gbagbo victory at ICC
- NAM1 extradition close to impossible - Lawyer
- GES clarifies academic calendar
- Police officer, 2 others busted for robbery
- A year of God’s promotion: GETHIM marks 16th anniversary
- Auction of Menzgold properties suspended