Chief Justice, Georgina Theodora Wood, has sworn in 13 new judges to the High Court at a short ceremony, Friday.
The judges are Jennifer Anne Myers Ahmed, Kofi Nyanteh Akuffo, Emmanuel Senyo Amedahe, Samuel Asare-Nyarko, and Emmanuel Lodoh.
Others are Sedina Agbemava, Rita Agyeman-Badu, Ellen Vivian Amoah, Cecilia Naa Shormeh Davis, Charles Edward Ekow Baiden, Kwasi Anokye Gyimah, Richard Osei-Hwere and Francis Apangabund Achibonga.
The new judges replace those removed from office following Anas Aremeyaw Anas exposé on judicial corruption last year.
Some lower court judges and High Court judges were sacked after Anas’ two-year investigative report that shows the judges allegedly taking bribes to influence justice.
The dismissed judges were part of some 34 justices said to have taken bribes in what became the biggest bribery scandal to hit the country. There were 22 inferior court judges all of whom have been dismissed with 12 High Court justices involved.
Supreme Court judge, Justice Sophia Akuffo asked the new judges to uphold the highest level of integrity since those they are replacing were removed for their lack of integrity.
Vice President of the Ghana Bar Association (GBA), Tony Forson, said the Association will continue to defend the bench at all times.
Deputy Attorney General, Dominic Ayine, asked the new judges to be circumspect with their public comments.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Couple who can’t smile because of rare condition fall in love after meeting online
- 35% tax on 10k income earners scrapped
- Private sector jobs hits 208,620 in 2018
- Gov't to provide seed money for National Cathedral - Ofori-Atta
- 2019 Budget: 50-yr 'dead' rail sector will be alive next year - Finance Minister
- Education Ministry promises major facelift for technical universities
- STAR-Ghana Foundation launched to promote active citizenship
- One Stop Center an advantage for abused children - World Future Council
- Update: The Finder editor released
- Juaben Traditional Council hands over 2 flats to police
- 'We don’t care about 2019 budget' – Spare parts dealers
- The Royal Express luxury train is the best way to see Japan
- Reverse Pinocchio – Researchers find that your nose shrinks when you lie
- Today's front pages
- Assistant headmaster of KUHIS suspended over sodomy allegations