AngloGold Ashanti Iduapriem Gold Mine has sponsored the first runner-up Municipal Best Farmer and Best Female Farmer awards at the 33rdnational farmers’ day celebration held at Wassa Simpa in the Tarkwa Nsuaem Municipality and Dumase in the Prestea-Huni Valley District. The total sponsorship package was valued at approximately GH¢12,000.
The sponsorship forms part of the AngloGold Ashanti’s support to farmers and to help promote women empowerment in its catchment area. Since inception, more women in the area have ventured into agriculture making the vocation attractive.
Ms. Awo Wugah, a sixty-five (65) year old farmer from Esuaso won first runner-up for contributing towards food security in the Tarkwa Nsuaem Municipality. She also won a variety of gifts including a plasma television set, an orthopedic mattress, sewing machine etc. This is Ms Wugah’s second win as best female farmer.She has been farming for over thirty years and cultivates cocoa, maize, spices, pineapples, cassava, plantain etc.
“Hard work and perseverance are the two pillars that has kept me going, she said, expressing appreciation to the Mine for the honour done her.” Madam Awo Wugah encouraged more women especially the youth to venture into commercial farming as a business since its benefits are rewarding.
Mr. Gabriel Yeboah, a former beneficiary of Iduapriem’s local economic development programme also received an award for the municipal vegetable farmer.
At Dumase-Bogoso, Madam Amina Agyimah from Damang, a gold mining community in the Prestea Huni-Valley District won the best female farmer award. She received a plasma television set, wellington boots, bags of NPK fertilizers, wax print, one packet of roofing sheets among others.
“We are thankful to AngloGold Ashanti for sponsoring the best female award category every year. I am proud of the items I have received and in fact, AngloGold Ashanti stood tall among its peers,” Madam Amina Agyimah said.
Commenting on the sponsorship, the Managing Director of AngloGold Ashanti Iduapriem Gold Mine, Jasper Musadaidzwa said the sponsorship forms part of the AngloGold Ashanti’s support to farmers and to help promote women empowerment in its catchment area.
“Since AngloGold Ashanti’s participation in supporting female farmers in its host communities to , more women in the area have taken inventured into agriculture making the vocation attractive and as a mine that believes in empowering women, we will continue to support this noble cause” he added.
National Farmers' Day is commemorated each year to honour Ghanaian farmers and fishermen. The occasion is also used to acknowledge the vital role farmers and fishermen play in the nation's socio-economic development.This year’s celebration was under the theme, Farming for food and Jobs.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Disclaimer: Unauthorized representatives of Multimedia Group Limited
- Ketu North District presents startup kits for disabled
- Jonmoore International Limited partners with UK dental specialists
- Time With Dentsu Aegis Network thought leaders
- Asanko Mining promotes literacy through reading, comprehension competition
- ‘Accra to be cleanest in Africa’: CONIWAS criticises Minister for extending timeline
- From the newsstands today: Thursday, April 25, 2019
- ‘Teachers need retraining to promote quality education’
- At this German housing complex rent hasn’t gone up in 500 years
- Top 5 experiences to try while In Africa
- Photos: UN peacekeepers mourn late Ghanaian Head, Maj. Gen. Vib-Sanziri
- Akufo-Addo, Graca Marchel to grace summit on global peace
- Missing Takoradi girls not found – Police deny media reports
- Your victory in life began on the cross of Christ's death – Aps. Mike Etrue
- Massive decongestion exercise looms in Madina