The Overall Best Farmer for the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region has returned all the awards he received at this year's Farmers' Day celebration held at Dumase near Bogoso.
Mr. John Enimil, a 35-year-old who was adjudged as the Overall District Best Farmer on Friday, December 1, 2017, went home with four knapsack sprayers, a bicycle, five wellington boots, nine cutlasses, 2 radio sets, a flat-screen TV and a table-top fridge.
Mr. Enimil owns 120 acres of rubber plantation, 52 acres of cocoa farm, 10 acres of sugarcane farm, 10 acres of palm nut plantation, 2 acres of rice farm, 2 acres of cocoyam, 2 fish ponds, 150 of local fowls, 150 of poultry fowls, 85 trees of pea and 360 coconut trees.
Currently, he has a total staff of 15 workers.
Barely a week after receiving his awards from the government, Mr. Enimil has returned all his award package to the Agriculture Department in the District.
Confirming the news to Ghanaweb, Mr. Enimil explained the package given to him as an Overall Best Farmer was a disgrace to him and Prestea-Huni Valley.
According to him, "In 2016 the Overall Best Farmer received a brand new tricycle (Aboboya) so I was expecting the same or very important item than this bicycle", he lamented.
"The District has embarrassed me and there is no way I will take the items again, they should take their items", he added.
"What pains me a lot is a common certificate they didn't give me some and these people think I'm not a person, they take we the farmers for granted", he told www.ghanaweb.com.
He also revealed that the Member of Parliament for the area has called him to exercise patience as the District is trying to resolve the issue but he added that he remains unmoved.
The District Director of Agriculture of the District, Mr. Gabriel Adjargo has declined to comment on the issue. The situation has generated a lot of hullabaloo in the District.
This year's celebration was under the theme, " Farming for Food and Jobs".
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making
- EC received no briefing from police on operational plans – Jean Mensa reveals