The Overall Best Farmer for the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region has returned all the awards he received at this year's Farmers' Day celebration held at Dumase near Bogoso.
Mr. John Enimil, a 35-year-old who was adjudged as the Overall District Best Farmer on Friday, December 1, 2017, went home with four knapsack sprayers, a bicycle, five wellington boots, nine cutlasses, 2 radio sets, a flat-screen TV and a table-top fridge.
Mr. Enimil owns 120 acres of rubber plantation, 52 acres of cocoa farm, 10 acres of sugarcane farm, 10 acres of palm nut plantation, 2 acres of rice farm, 2 acres of cocoyam, 2 fish ponds, 150 of local fowls, 150 of poultry fowls, 85 trees of pea and 360 coconut trees.
Currently, he has a total staff of 15 workers.
Barely a week after receiving his awards from the government, Mr. Enimil has returned all his award package to the Agriculture Department in the District.
Confirming the news to Ghanaweb, Mr. Enimil explained the package given to him as an Overall Best Farmer was a disgrace to him and Prestea-Huni Valley.
According to him, "In 2016 the Overall Best Farmer received a brand new tricycle (Aboboya) so I was expecting the same or very important item than this bicycle", he lamented.
"The District has embarrassed me and there is no way I will take the items again, they should take their items", he added.
"What pains me a lot is a common certificate they didn't give me some and these people think I'm not a person, they take we the farmers for granted", he told www.ghanaweb.com.
He also revealed that the Member of Parliament for the area has called him to exercise patience as the District is trying to resolve the issue but he added that he remains unmoved.
The District Director of Agriculture of the District, Mr. Gabriel Adjargo has declined to comment on the issue. The situation has generated a lot of hullabaloo in the District.
This year's celebration was under the theme, " Farming for Food and Jobs".
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu