Armed robbers Tuesday night shot and killed Anthony K. Fouliber, a nurse at Sawla Polyclinic when the minibus he was traveling in was attacked.
He was among passengers who were traveling in a Sangyong mini bus with registration number AS 689-17 at Grupei in the Damango District of the Northern Region.
The minibus driver Halidu Amadu who reported the incident to the police said, he was travelling from Tamale to Sawla around 10:00 pm on Tuesday and upon reaching Grupei in the Damango District, some armed men stopped the vehicle.
According to him, all the passengers including him were forced into the bush and robbed them of their monies and other personal belongings.
In the process, one of the armed robbers shot Mr Fouliber who was rushed to Sawla Polyclinic for treatment but died upon arrival.
The body has since been deposited at Bole District hospital morgue.
The Northern Regional Police spokesperson ASP Mohammed Yussif Tanko who confirmed the incident to Joy News said at about 11:30 pm, the Sawla Police Command received a distress call from Mr Amadu.
He said the driver reported that his car had been hijacked by some people he suspected were armed robbers on the Tamale-Sawla Road at about 10:00 pm.
No arrests have been made so far but ASP Tanko indicated that the Damango District Police Command had launched investigations into the case.
He is appealing to people with information to assist them to arrest the suspects.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Nutifafa Kuenyehia's address at 2018 School of Humanities congregation
- Manso Nkwata killing: MP calls for prosecution of “murderers” in uniform
- Number of Ghanaians studying in U.S. increases - Study
- Ghanaian named in BBC list of 100 most influential women
- That's My Opinion: We are failing, despite the benefit of hindsight
- Swiss cheese maker plays music to his cheese to make it taste better
- Rumors I'm planning an attack untrue – Regent of Dagbon
- Armed robbers shoot policeman in the eye
- Manso-Nkwanta: 7 killed by police not armed robbers - Gov't
- The shipwreck that created a culture
- 'Human Spider' banned from climbing any UK building
- Today's front pages
- You can now travel across Morocco on Africa’s First High-speed train
- 3 arrested over Asiwa police chief attack
- Pantang Hospital JHS pupil wins Aspire to Bee spelling competition