Former President John Kufuor is urging the current leadership of the party to strategise and keep the party in power for a long time.
He said it is only when the party keeps on winning consistently would the roots of the party go deep and the NPP will become the party of the nation.
He was speaking at the National Delegates Conference of the governing New Patriotic Party currently underway in the Central Region.
The Conference, the highest decision making body of the party has converged to assess the party’s performance in government so far and to discuss new reforms for the party.
Under the theme: "Our roots, our experience and our future," the party will begin to chart a new course in government in the hope of staying in power at least for a
Ex-president Kufuor believes the party has the DNA to discharge a duty to the nation.
In an era where technology reigns, Mr Kufuor called for the institution of what he refers to as “technocracy.”
Explaining what he refers to as technocracy, the ex-president who ruled the country from 2000-2008 said the party must begin to employ intelligent and professional guys who have no ambitions for political power but only interested in working at the backroom strategizing for the party.
This he said will make the party stronger and more focused.
“It has taken a long time to come to power. We must keep on winning three, four or five times,” he said to a rapturous applause from the thousands of party faithful who had converged at Cape Coast.
The conference saw good will messages from members of some of the opposition parties including the NDC who was represented by the Deputy General Secretary Koku Anyidoho.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!
- Kidnapped Canadians: Kenyasi-Achiase residents receives death threats
- Ghanaian, 2 Nigerians freed from Trinidad & Tobago jail - thanks to Akufo-Addo
- I took 15yrs to forgive God -Ebo Whyte recounts importance of fathers