The Ghana contingent serving with the United Nations Peace Support Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO), has held a solemn memorial ceremony in honour of the late former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan on Monday.
The ceremony led by the Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Bernard Baba Pantoah was for the troops to show appreciation for the service of Mr Annan towards global peace.
Troops of the Battalion and Staff Officers of MONUSCO participated in the ceremony at the Ghanaian Battalion (GHANBATT) Headquarters in Kinshasa.
Prayers were said for the soul of the former UN Secretary General and the Last Post was sounded. This was followed by the observation of a minute of silence.
In a tribute, the Contingent Commander and the Commander of Western Sector, MONUSCO, Brigadier General Emmanuel Kotia observed, “Mr Annan exhibited humility, good humour, courtesy and charm throughout his public life and as a global leader for peace, security and sustainable development.
"He displayed enormous wisdom and strength, and was a role model to aspiring young men and women leaders globally”.
The ceremony ended with the sounding of the Reveille after which the UN, Ghana and the GHANBATT flags hoisted at half-mast in honour of Mr Annan.
Flags will continue to fly at half-mast until Sunday as a sign of respect to the departed Mr Annan, a noble Statesman of Ghana.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos: 2 passengers allegedly raped, others robbed at gunpoint
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court
- 233 communities to benefit from grid expansion in Ashanti Region
- Meteorological Agency gets 10 automatic weather stations
- 'Tinder for cows' matches livestock in the mood for love
- Establish counselling departments in schools – GNACC
- Spousal violence is a crime report all cases – CHRAJ
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax