The Christian Council of Ghana (CCG) has advised the Akufo-Addo led government to depoliticise its laudable social intervention programmes.
The Council wants the pro-poor initiatives to be national ideas in order to make them more acceptable and lasting.
The Council said the government, should, in particular, depoliticise the Free-Senior High School (SHS) programme which, it described as “a wonderful social intervention that must be sustained as a national idea”.
In an interview with the GNA on Monday, Reverend Dr Kwabena Opuni-Frimpong, General Secretary of the CCG, commended President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo for being very consistent in his promises of bettering the lots of Ghanaians.
He said, on assumption of office, the President immediately started rolling out some of his campaign programmes, which included the free SHS, the “One District One Factory” and the restoration of allowances of teacher trainees and nursing students.
Rev Opuni-Frimpong said while the Council lauds the President for being consistent, it would also urge it to clearly explain to Ghanaians how it was mobilising resources to fund all these projects, adding, “That will help boost the confidence of the people in the government”.
He also advised the government to lead a national mobilisation programme to mobilise domestic resources and bring all stakeholders including parents, teachers, and old school associations on board to run the free SHS.
“This will ensure that we get the best out of the free-SHS for our children”, he said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach