Three officers of the Operation Vanguard taskforce have arrested for their alleged involvement in a bribery and extortion racket.
Operation Vanguard is a Military Police Joint Task Force (JTF) were set up by government in 2017 to combat the operations of illegal mining in the country.
Among those arrested is a serving military officer at Tamale Air Force Base, Sergeant Mathew Ansu, who was a member of Vanguard Four Operation.
The rest are Lance Corporal Samuel Arhinful and Sergeant Collins Baffour Gyawu – both serving police officers based at Achiase District Police Command and Cape Coast Regional CID respectively.
Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Operation Vanguard, Captain Edward Senanu Akakpo, who confirmed the arrest, said L/Corporal Samuel Arhinful popularly known as Commander Sammy was the leader of the extortion gang until their arrest.
They were arrested at Gold Finger Spot in Obuasi in the Ashanti Region on Wednesday evening where the officers laid ambush following a tip-off.
According to the PRO, Arhinful, who also worked with Vanguard Four Operation, recruited his friend and colleague, Sgt. Collins Baffour Gyawu (a member of Vanguard Eight) to join him and Sgt. Mathew Ansu for the alleged extortion racket.
The suspects had demanded monies or received payments from some miners on a weekly or monthly basis, which protected their victims from being arrested for illegal mining activities.
They had virtually created an enterprise to demand deposits or take ‘profits’ (bribes) in the name of Operation Vanguard without the knowledge of the current Commander, Colonel Jackson Wonje, and his men.
All the suspects have since been sent to the military and police headquarters in Accra for further investigations and action by their respective institutions, Captain Senanu Akakpo stated.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day