Ghanaian car company, Kantanka, has been blamed for failing to penetrate the local market following efforts by German car maker VW to set up in Ghana.
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) man and an insider in the Akufo-Addo government, has said Kantanka Automobile has not been proactive in engaging the government to purchase their cars.
The discussion about Kantanka cars has been triggered by the President's announcement, Volks Wagen (VW) will be setting up a car assembly plant in Ghana.
The announcement has been applauded in some quarters on social media but it has also raised questions about government's commitment to helping the indigenous car company.
Critics say the President's much-touted 'Ghana beyond aid' is hollow if it cannot empower local businesses and entrepreneurs.
The Chief Executive Officer of Kantanka Automobile Limited, Kwadwo Safo Jnr joined in a tweet ' “Why is it so difficult for Africans to support their own?'
Mr President. Only thing we need is good policies to protect the automobile industry and help grow our local industries @NAkufoAddo— Kwadwo Safo Jnr (@kwadwosafo_Jnr) August 31, 2018
But Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko who uses a Kantanka car has said the company is responsible for its weak penetration in the Ghana market.
He said the company has a great opportunity to expand because the Finance Minister, who controls the public purse is also a client of the local company.
"He is happy with the vehicle he is using", the NPP man revealed the Minister's assessment to him in private discussions. If Kantanka Automobile Ltd was proactive enough, it would present a proposal to the Finance Minister, the Founder of Danquah Institute said.
"I think they will get a positive response", Gabby Otchere-Darko told host of the Joy FM Super Morning Show Monday.
Mr. Otchere-Darko who owns pro-government newspaper, The Stateman, said the indigenous company which unvieled its first car in 2008 should not expect government to engage it.
Nana Akufo-Addo after test driving some Kantanka cars during a visit ahead of the 2016 elections, declared "when I win the 2016 election and become President, my government will support local, Ghanaian manufacturing companies"
Kwadwo Safo Jnr in June 2017 met the Vice-President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia at the Flagstaff House and complained, the company pays the same duty and levies as charged on imported cars.
During the meeting, he also showcased models manufactured and assembled by the company such as an SUV, Mini SUV, and Pickups.
A month later, the Trades Ministry announced it had purchased 4X4 Kantanka Onantefo SUV. The Trades Minister, Alan Kwadwo Kyrerematen, said the purchase of the car is to make a statement of government's commitment to help local industries.
Adwoa Safo, daughter of the Founder of the Kantanka Automobile, Apostle Kwadwo Safo Kantanka, is Procurement Minister in the Akufo-Addo government.
High profile Ghanaians who use Kantanka cars include the Asantehene and Okyenhene who both own the Kantanka Onantefo valued at over ¢130,000.
Gabby Otchere-Darko said the local automobile company's business model is faulty because it does not target the mass market.
Kantanka Automobile which began commercial sale of the Kantanka cars in November 2015, has been criticised as selling at uncompetitive prices.
The Kantanka K71 is selling between ¢65,000 - ¢70,000. The luxury version, Omama Luxury is sold at ¢130,00. Toyota show room in Accra displays a brand new 1.8litre Toyota Corolla which costs ¢155,000.
A used Toyota is sold around ¢35,000.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach