A woman’s tongue suddenly grew hairy after she was involved in a car crash that crushed her legs.
The 55-year-old woman from the US was admitted to hospital after sustaining a severe crush injury to both legs, according to a case report by the New England Journal of Medicine.
After her wounds became infected, she was given intravenous meropenem and oral minocycline antibiotics, to fight bacteria in her body.
Within a week, her tongue turned black and furry and she complained about a bad taste in her mouth.
Doctors suspected that she had developed a hairy tongue as a result of the minocycline treatment.
‘Black hairy tongue is a benign condition characterized by hypertrophy and elongation of filiform papillae on the surface of the tongue, with brownish-black discoloration,’ the New England Journal of Medicine report said.
It is a temporary and harmless oral condition which gives the tongue a black discoloration or sometimes green, yellow or white, as well as a furry appearance.
Symptoms include a metallic taste in the mouth, bad breath and a tickling sensation.
The woman’s condition was caused by changes in the normal bacteria or yeast content in her mouth following the antibiotic cure.
However, it can also be caused by poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, tobacco, excessive alcohol use, eating a soft diet that doesn’t help rub dead skin cells from the tongue or regular use of mouthwash.
The woman stopped using minocycline, was prescribed a different antibiotic and advised to practice a good oral hygiene. Within four weeks, her tongue returned to normal.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Manso-Nkwanta: 7 killed by police not armed robbers - Gov't
- The shipwreck that created a culture
- 'Human Spider' banned from climbing any UK building
- Today's front pages
- You can now travel across Morocco on Africa’s First High-speed train
- 3 arrested over Asiwa police chief attack
- Pantang Hospital JHS pupil wins Aspire to Bee spelling competition
- 'Dead' man turns up two months after burial
- Asiwa police chief shot, in critical condition
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament