The Director of Bridges at the Ghana Highways Authority has revealed that the footbridges on parts of the N4 Highway, will be fixed by end of 2019.
Yaqub Koray told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show, Monday, November 5, that the Highways Authority intends to complete six footbridges over the period.
His comments come after the residents of Madina, Adentan and its environs in Accra have sent a notice to stage a demonstration to register their displeasure with the government’s failure to complete footbridges on the roads.
The situation has led to needless loss of lives; especially pedestrians who get knocked down by vehicles while crossing the six-lane road.
Last Friday, irate residents blocked the roads in protests after a hit and run led to the death of a woman.
Mr. Koray said on the Super Morning Show that the government had intended for the project to resume in October but differences with the contractor stalled the project.
He said the designs submitted by the contractor was not approved because they did not meet the specifications of the Highway Authority.
“…some persons with disabilities could not access what the contractor designed,” he explained.
He added that the Authority has made some drawings themselves and the project should start soon.
“Now we have sufficient drawing…sometime this week we will invite the contractor to enable us to have a cost estimate,” he stated. We expect to have work started by the end of this month, he assured.
Meanwhile, the residents are peeved about the situation and have promised to embark on a demonstration next Monday
Listen to the discussion:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day