A man suspected to be suffering from a mental ailment caused an upset Tuesday when he torched a vehicle into ashes at a mechanic shop at the Pokuase ACP Estate junction in the Ga North Municipality of Accra.
Four other vehicles at the shop had various parts damaged by the fire, which the suspected mental case identified only as Ofori, was said to have started at dawn.
Ofori reportedly started the fire around 3am.
The timely arrival of fire personnel from Amasaman saved the other vehicles as well as nearby property belonging to the Electricity Company of Ghana from being burnt totally.
Eyewitnesses say Ofori, who has been lurking within the vicinity, was spotted attempting to open an Opel Agila taxi cab brought to the shop Monday evening for repairs.
He then reportedly lit a match in the car and when it caught fire, he stood at a distance to watch the vehicle burn completely while the fire was extending to the other cars. A passerby alerted neigbours in a nearby house who called the fire personnel to quench the fire.
At the time the fire was brought under control, four other vehicles parked at the shop had also been affected leaving some of them with damaged headlights, tail lights and bumpers.
Workers at the shop who were outraged by the conduct of the man, attempted to find out from him why committed the act but he was adamant.
Fire personnel have launched further probe into the incident in order to calculate the damages caused.
See more photos below:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making
- EC received no briefing from police on operational plans – Jean Mensa reveals
- Short Commission’s day one sitting has given hope – Aning
- Akufo-Addo’s Lancing College recruits Ghanaian students
- New board of ECOWAS Brown Card scheme promises improved service
- Meet Maxwell: 23-year-od successful mango farmer