The Biblical "spare the rod and spoil the child," seems to be playing out in the Asante Kingdom where the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II has destooled two chiefs in less than one week.
Just days after Asafohene and Head of the Akwamu Division, Akyamfuo Kwame Akowuah, was ousted for breaching the Great Oath of Asanteman, another has received the marching orders.
Chief of Ahenkro, near Offinso, Nana Ahenkro Sei Ababio III, has been sanctioned for showing disrespect to the King by defying orders barring chiefs from taking all chieftaincy and land disputes to the courts.
He is also accused of arrogating to himself an "overlord" status.
Akyamfuo Kwame Akowua was destooled last week by the Asantehene
The Asantehene who spoke through his linguist, Baffuor Osei Kwame Kantankrankyi, said Ahenkro Sei should blame his insubordination and disrespect for his predicament.
Having been enstooled in 1999, just about the time Otumfuo ascended the Golden Stool, Ahenkrohene’s reign ended at a traditional council meeting at the Manhyia Palace on Monday, 24 June 2019, when Otumfuo delivered his judgement.
It would be recalled Asafohene was found guilty of the illegal sale of land, and about 40 other charges brought against him by his elders.
On ascending the Golden Stool as the 16th Asantehene, Otumfuo’s early initiatives included an order to withdraw all chieftaincy disputes pending in court for settlement through the traditional and customary structures.
It spontaneously earned him the accolade King Solomon, in reminiscence of the Biblical wise King Solomon.
Otumfuo’s stance has perhaps been more than enough warning to his chiefs he means business and would not spare errant chiefs.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- StanChart, Prudential Life launch savings and educational product
- Police arrest 3 with human parts
- 20 SHSs in Ashanti, Bono complete STEM camp in Kumasi
- KNUST student from less endowed SHS becomes valedictorian
- Investment in data collection important to surviving water disasters – Weather expert
- Photos: Section of Okponglo road caves in
- Kissi Agyebeng replaces Date-Bah at Electronic Communications Tribunal
- 2 traders in critical condition after gunmen lay siege to highway
- Smart learning and national experience centre project to be introduced in Ghana
- Newspaper headlines : Tuesday, July 23, 2019
- SMT Ghana launches Volvo Truck traffic safety campaign
- Voltic launches plastic buy-back project at La
- White Missionary reportedly undergoes female circumcision to be part of Kenya culture
- "Are Ghana's cities clean for ‘Year of Return’?"
- Tarzan chides Akufo-Addo, Sakyi-Addo, Kan Dapaah over Radio Gold, XYZ closure