A middle-aged man has been arrested in Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi, after attempting to sell an 18-month-old baby girl.
Police are yet to give details about the suspect’s identity but Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor has explained the man was aiming to sell the baby to a doctor or nurse at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in the Ashanti region.
The reporter explained the man who hails from the Eastern region approached a security man at KATH to lead him to any medical professional.
The security man whose name is yet to be confirmed contacted the Central police in Kumasi and was advised to feign interest.
While negotiating the price of the baby last Friday, police busted the suspect. The suspect had put a ¢50,000 price tag on the baby.
The suspect explained the mother of the baby had dumped the toddler on him and insisted he was the father.
The welfare of children and wards has gained national media attention in the past three months. Only last week, police rescued a baby stolen from her mother in a market in Takoradi, Western region.
It has emerged the suspect, Rose Mawusi Fiaku, 42, was reportedly trying to court the care of her concubine Lawson Lartey, 33, after she had a miscarriage.
The country is still reelng from a kidnapping in the same region involving teen girls. The three girls remain missing since the last quarter of 2018.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- March to decriminalise marijuana gets EFL support
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Over 98% of ABFA cash pumped into free SHS in 2018 – Report
- Why you will pay 18.1% more for water
- Multimedia Group's Richard Kwadwo Nyarko selected as Africa fact-checking fellow
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Aggressive seagulls keep couple hostage in their own home for six days
- Video: Meet Sarafina, the 16-year-old anti-child marriage campaigner
- Paris planning flying taxis by 2024
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing
- Special Feature on 1V1D: Complaints by communities gov’t should not ignore
- Archbishop Porter Girls bundled out of NSMQ2019
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss