Twelve armed men on Wednesday attacked 49 passengers who were travelling from Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region to the Greater Accra Region in a VVIP Bus.
The robbers absconded with an unspecified amount of money, passports, mobile phones, other personal belongings and also inflicted gunshot and cutlass wounds on some of the passengers.
Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong, the Brong-Ahafo Regional Police Public Relations Officer, confirmed this to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Sunyani.
He said the bus with registration number GT5258-17 was attacked at Abodweser, a location between Buipe in the Northern Region and Kadelso near Kintampo in the Brong-Ahafo Region.
He said at about 2245 hours that day, a 43-year old driver of the bus, Jamiu Shaibu, reported to the Kintampo Police that they had been robbed at a section of the road by armed men with SB short guns and cutlasses.
Chief Inspector Oppong said the robbers blocked the road with timber logs and clubs to rob the drivers and passengers in turns whilst shooting indiscriminately.
He said the Kintampo Police Patrol Team rushed to the scene but the robbers had already escaped.
Chief Inspector Oppong said while the Police Patrol Team was about to leave the scene, a suspected member of the robbery gang, Sulley Gonja emerged from a nearby bush on a motorbike and was arrested to assist in Police investigations.
He said two victims, George Anglo and Emmanuel Yeboah who sustained gunshot and cutlass wounds respectively were rushed to the Kintampo Municipal Government Hospital for treatment.
Chief Inspector Oppong appealed to the public to help the Police with the necessary information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Top lesser known Safari parks in Africa
- Okoe Boye at the end of the road over ‘hopeless’ Lekma stretch
- Rawlings’ dispatch rider shot, suffers broken arm
- Video of chief allegedly slaughtering human is false - Police
- Krachi West supports 50 PWDs with start-up kits
- Registrar dragged to Special Prosecutor for allegedly awarding himself ȼ2m contract
- That's My Opinion: The People vs Nana Ansah Kwao IV
- Obinim fights GRA over ȼ769,000 unpaid taxes
- Assemblies of God begins 7-day fast for three kidnapped girls
- High court rescinds bail granted Gregory Afoko
- NaCCA to introduce shortcode to control ‘unapproved’ textbooks
- GES implements new curriculum September
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, July 15, 2019
- ECG, PDS dispel rumours about looming dumsor
- Former boxing champion turned pastry chef creates amazing wedding cakes