The biennial 2019 World Beard and Mustache Championship got underway Friday in Antwerp, Belgium.
Sponsored this year by Snorrenclub Antwerpen -- "Moustache Club of Antwerp" in Dutch -- the event draws beard and mustache enthusiasts from around the world for a three-day convention and contest.
Friday's events include a Ladies' competition, with categories for Realistic and Creative expression of artificial beards and moustaches.
Participants will visit the Antwerp Zoo on Friday.
The World Beard and Mustache Association, organized in 1990, is the governing body and hosted the first event, in Holten, Germany.
Since 2001, it has been an every-two-years competition, visiting Brighton, England; Anchorage, Alaska; Trondheim, Norway; Stuttgart, Germany; Leogang, Austria, and in 2017, Austin, Texas.
There are three brackets of facial hair under consideration in competition: moustache, partial beard and full beard, and each has several categories for judges to score.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists