Audio By Carbonatix
The military junta in Niger is under intense pressure to agree to a dialogue as ECOWAS deepens its threat of military action.
The military junta had been determined to ward off any attempts to have them restore constitutional rule and had gone as far as restricting an ECOWAS delegation to an airport forcing them out of Niger.
This comes after the junta overthrew constitutional order in Niger.
ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security, Abdel-Fatau Musah was part of the delegation that was held at the Nigerien airport.
“We were going and they said they were not ready to receive us,” he said.
“Secondly, before then, the chair of ECOWAS, President Tinubu of Nigeria also dispatched former Head of State Abdul Salam Abubakar with the Sultan of Sokoto to talk to them, they confined them to the airport. They didn't allow them citing so-called explosive security situation in town which is all false.”
With this development, ECOWAS was forced to threaten to use force by invading Niger with military troops with the intention to restore order and reinstate the deposed President, Mohammed Bazoum.
However, it appears the threat of military force may be yielding some results, as ECOWAS military chiefs wrap up their plan of attack in Accra on Friday.
JoyNews is learning that the junta has sent a message to ECOWAS chiefs agreeing to talk.
Speaking exclusively to the head of JoyNews' Foreign Affairs and Diplomatic desk, Blessed Sogah, Dr Abdul Fatah said ECOWAS is ready to engage with the junta.
“Over the last couple of days, we’ve already received assurances that they are ready to receive our mission so we will take them by their word,’ he said.
He explained that ECOWAS’ mission is to ensure that the right thing is done and constitutional order restored.
“We don’t want to go the military route so we are giving every opportunity for the peaceful option to work.”
He used the opportunity to refute claims that ECOWAS has arrived at a date to deploy the military troops to Niger.
“ECOWAS has not agreed on a date to deploy military force,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Immigration Service trains 40 officers ahead of E-Visa rollout
17 minutes -
MPC maintains policy rate at 14.0% after 130th meeting
18 minutes -
Sierra Leone receives first group of West African deportees from US
38 minutes -
Meta CEO tells employees he does not expect more company-wide layoffs this year
44 minutes -
Police officers who guarded Capitol sue to block Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund’
49 minutes -
AETC President advocates energy and technology integration for a united Africa at 2026 conference
57 minutes -
ISODEC rejects Ghana’s IMF PCI request, pushes for alternative economic strategy
57 minutes -
Wontumi Trial: Ex Deputy Lands Minister says concessionaires were encouraged to reclaim degraded mining lands
1 hour -
Parliament resumes tomorrow with major legislative agenda on governance, sector reforms
1 hour -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll continues to rise, WHO warns
1 hour -
Counsellors urge trauma victims to break silence and pursue healing
1 hour -
GNFS contains midnight shop fire at Effiduase in Eastern Region
1 hour -
AG closes case in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ trial
2 hours -
Evalue Ajomoro Gwira NDC members petition party leadership over alleged electoral manipulation
2 hours -
Base Movement Ghana dissolves all positions in major internal reorganisation
2 hours