Audio By Carbonatix
Nigerian security forces on Tuesday intensified a search for 25 girls abducted by gunmen from a boarding school in northwestern Kebbi, the latest school abduction as widespread insecurity continues to plague the country.
Parents who gathered at the school said two girls had managed to escape their abductors on Monday evening.
Police said men armed with rifles stormed the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in the town of Maga around 4 a.m. local time (0300 GMT) on Monday, arriving on motorcycles in an apparently well-planned attack.
The attackers exchanged gunfire with police before scaling the perimeter fence and abducting the students.
Most of the students and those kidnapped are Muslim, the dominant religion in the region, school officials said.
"We must find these children. Act decisively and professionally on all intelligence. Success is not optional," Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff, told troops during a visit to Kebbi on Tuesday.
Nazifi Isa, a resident, said he heard about the kidnapping at Maga's school after dawn prayers at a mosque. He got on his motorbike and headed to the school, where he learned that one of his two daughters was among those taken.
"Since yesterday, we haven't eaten, and my wife is in tears. I can't even go back home to see her because I know how distraught she is," Isa told Reuters by phone.
NIGERIA UNDER PRESSURE FROM TRUMP
Nigeria has faced increased U.S. scrutiny since President Donald Trump threatened military action over what he says is the persecution of Christians by Islamist insurgents like Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) and Boko Haram.
Nigeria is battling insurgents in the northeast, while kidnappings for ransom by armed groups have increased in the northwest and clashes continue between cattle herders and farmers in the middle belt.
The ISWAP said its fighters abducted and executed an army general in the northeast over the weekend, in a blow to Nigeria's counterinsurgency fight.
Local media reported that on Monday, another armed gang abducted 64 people, including women and children in Zamfara state, which borders Kebbi.
Many such kidnappings go unreported because they happen in remote areas where communication is patchy.
ECHOES OF CHIBOK KIDNAPPING
At Maga school, some parents waited in hope that their children would be found alive.
The attack echoed Boko Haram's 2014 kidnapping of over 300 mostly Christian Chibok girls, which sparked global outrage.
Some of those girls escaped, others were released after years in captivity and negotiations with their abductors, but many have never returned.
Since then, hundreds more have been kidnapped from schools and universities for ransom.
Latest Stories
-
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
4 minutes -
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
13 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
18 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
21 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
24 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
34 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
42 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
42 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
55 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
56 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
59 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour