Audio By Carbonatix
Nigerian authorities confirmed Tuesday that a meningitis outbreak in the northwest was behind the death of at least 26 people over several weeks.
The spread of the disease in the state of Kebbi began late January with over 200 suspected cases recorded, the state commissioner for health, Musa Ismail, told reporters in Birnin Kebbi, the state capital.
Ismail also said medical supplies have already been dispatched to the affected areas, and isolation centers set up to prevent the further spread of the disease.
Sokoto, another state in the northwest and about 150 kilometers (90 miles) away from Kebbi, has urged residents to remain vigilant after several cases were suspected.
Sokoto state commissioner of health, Faruk Abubakar, said residents should take precautionary measures and seek immediate medical attention at the nearest health facility if they are experiencing symptoms such as high fever, stiff neck and severe headaches.
Meningitis, more common during the hot season in Nigeria, is a significant public health challenge in Africa’s most populous country that affects the protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
Additionally to this communicable disease, Nigeria is also battling malaria and has the highest burden in the world.
Nigeria previously received aid from the United States Agency for International Development to combat these diseases, but that support has recently been withdrawn.
Between 2022 and 2023, Nigeria, located in an area known as the African Meningitis Belt, recorded 2,765 suspected cases and 190 deaths, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2024, the World Health Organization said 153 people died in a similar outbreak.
The west African country is working to implement a roadmap approved by the World Health Assembly in November 2020 that aims to eradicate meningitis by 2030.
Nigeria has 36 states.
Latest Stories
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
12 minutes -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
15 minutes -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirms
20 minutes -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
32 minutes -
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert Seminary book quarterfinal spots
38 minutes -
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
39 minutes -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
56 minutes -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
1 hour -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
1 hour -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
1 hour -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
1 hour -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
2 hours -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
2 hours -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
3 hours -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
3 hours