Audio By Carbonatix
Dr Dominic Akurutinga Ayine, the Attorney-General (AG) and Minister of Justice, has hinted at plans to file civil charges against those involved in the National Service Authority (NSA) looting scandal.
Speaking at the Government Accountability Series Press Conference at the Presidency in Accra, the AG said pursuant to discussions with the Auditor-General, the sums of money involved in the National Service scandal had been disallowed by the Auditor-General and had been surcharged on the public officers who superintended the looting of state resources at the NSA.
He said the notices of disallowance and surcharge had been duly issued and served on the said public officers.
“After 14 days, if they fail to show cause why the sums of money should not be disallowed and surcharged on them, the money becomes a debt due and owing to the state, and I will proceed to take civil action to recover the sums involved,” he stated.
“Once judgment is obtained, it will be executed using the civil procedure mechanism, including the attachment of properties they own, whether or not these properties were part of the proceeds of crime.”
He reiterated that he intended to write formally to the Auditor-General for confirmation of the notices of disallowance and surcharge.
He said his Office continued to work with other institutions of state to bring charges in relation to the Operation Recover All Loots (ORAL) investigative reports submitted by the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB).
“Overall, the ORAL investigations are proceeding well, and we continue to beef up initial investigative rreports tofile charges that meet the standard of proof in criminal trials,” Dr Ayine said.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
4 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
6 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
10 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
16 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
16 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
21 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
26 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
28 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
29 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
32 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
38 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
41 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
52 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
56 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour