Audio By Carbonatix
Accra-based civil society group, Democracy Hub says they have not been served any court process by the Ghana Police Service, contrary to suggestions by the Service.
According to the organisers, “the Ghana Police Service has not served us with any application and we are unaware of what exactly the police application is about.”
The Ghana Police Service Wednesday alleged that it had filed an application at the court and successfully served organisers (Democracy Hub) in connection with their planned demonstration to picket the seat of government, the Jubilee House from Thursday 21st to Saturday 23rd September, 2023.
The Accra-based civil society group, Democracy Hub, had earlier notified the Ghana Police Service of a planned demonstration on Nkrumah Memorial Day to call on “the President and members of the Economic Management Team to #FixTheCountry in light of the level of economic mismanagement and theft that has engulfed our government from the highest levels.”
“The picketing will also allow citizens to express their opposition to the proposed military intervention in Niger as well as any other government policy decisions or initiatives,” it added.
According to the group, the selection of Nkrumah Memorial Day is vital to the message they want to put across as it commemorates “the spirit of resilience and resistance that led the struggle against oppression and dispossession.”
In a move which has become characteristic of the Police Service in recent times, it has filed an application for an injunction against the protest on the eve of the event.
Reacting to the police statement, Democracy Hub said the police had throughout their engagement kept up a ruse, “making us believe that they will respect the law and fulfil their obligations under the Public Order Act.”
“We are appalled by the desperate and likely partisan attempts by the Police to disrupt peaceful and democratic mobilisation for our upcoming Occupy Julorbi House picket,” it stated.
The group has further urged the public to disregard the police statement “which is riddled with misinformation” as the protest will take place as scheduled.
“We invite the general public to assemble at the 37 Trotro Station at 6:30am tomorrow for onward march to the Jubilee House,” it reiterated.
Concerning their decision to ignore the alleged application filed at the court, Democracy Hub says “our decision follows that of the legal position taken by the Government, and the Electoral Commission that the mere filing of an application does not prevent the exercise of constitutional rights.”
Latest Stories
-
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
4 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
10 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
16 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
22 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
37 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
45 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
54 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
58 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
2 hours