Togbe Afede XIV has been defeated in his quest to be retained as President of the National House of Chiefs.
He lost to the Paramount Chief of Sefwi Anhwiaso Traditional Area, Ogyeahohuo Yaw Gyebi, in a landslide victory of 47 votes against 25.
Paramount Chief of Lawra Traditional Area in the Upper West Region, Naa Puowele Karbo III also won the Vice-Presidential slot with 44 votes, beating competition from Daasebre Kwebu Ewusi VII, Paramount Chief of Abeadze Traditional Area, who had 28 votes.
Seven members were restrained from exercising their franchise due to a court injunction served on the house.
Ogyeahohoo Yaw Gyebi II was the immediate past President of the Western Region House of Chiefs.
He was also the Chairman of Governance and Development Committee of the National House of Chiefs until December 2019, when he was removed for publicly criticizing the position of the House against the introduction of partisan politics at the local government level in the lead up to the aborted referendum on the election of MMDCEs.
In his acceptance speech, the President-elect of the National House of Chiefs, Ogyeahohuo Yaw Gyebi said he will work with all members to better serve the nation.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song
- Mastercard Foundation Health Collaborative allocates $1 million for prospective entrepreneurs
- We’ll pay outstanding debt despite inheriting it – Electrochem
- Lawyer for Jonathan Majors shares alleged texts from woman involved in actor’s assault arrest
- Inaki is not scoring for Ghana because he plays with a No.10 who loves to score – Ignatius Osei Fosu
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns
- Pass outstanding revenue bills – Youth in Accountable Governance to Parliament
- Joint Paper by KAIPTC researchers wins global prize