Audio By Carbonatix
A civilian has been confirmed dead following a joint police and military operation in the Ahafo Region on Wednesday, November 13.
The large-scale operation, which took place simultaneously in Kenyasi in the Asutifi North District and Hwediem in the Asutifi South District, was aimed at arresting individuals suspected of holding members of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) hostage earlier this week.
Medical staff at the St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital in Hwediem confirmed that the deceased, an unidentified man, was brought to the facility already dead with multiple gunshot wounds.
According to military officers who transported the body, the man allegedly resisted arrest and incited another person to attack the soldiers, prompting the officers to open fire in self-defense.
“The man was brought in with several gunshot wounds and was already dead on arrival,” a hospital source told JoyNews on condition of anonymity.
While investigations are ongoing to determine the exact circumstances surrounding the shooting, residents and local leaders have called for an independent probe into the incident.
Meanwhile, authorities at the St. Elizabeth Hospital have expressed concern over what they describe as the wrongful arrest of a nurse during the same security operation. The hospital administration has since petitioned the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) to ensure the release of the detained nurse and other professionals they believe were mistakenly apprehended.
The suspects arrested during the operation have reportedly been transferred to Kumasi for further interrogation and screening.
Wednesday’s raid follows last week’s NAIMOS–Bronikrom clash, which saw violent confrontations between anti-illegal mining officers and some unidentified youth. Residents in both Kenyasi and Hwediem reported heavy security presence at dawn, with personnel entering homes and conducting searches as part of efforts to restore peace and stability in the area.
Security officials are yet to release an official statement on the incident. The deceased’s body has been deposited at the St. Elizabeth Hospital morgue in Hwediem for preservation and identification by relatives.
Latest Stories
-
Local insurers equipped to underwrite marine and aviation cargo risks – Boampong
8 minutes -
Trump’s Board of Peace members pledge $7bn in Gaza relief
14 minutes -
Bolt Food reinforces FDA hygiene permit requirement for merchant Partners on its platform
18 minutes -
Former Senegal international Faty opens up about racism
24 minutes -
Ghana retains top spot in GSMA’s 2025 mobile money regulatory index
31 minutes -
Ghana moves to international arbitration over maritime boundary with Togo
31 minutes -
Grey’s Anatomy star Eric Dane dies at 53 after ALS diagnosis
32 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Hospital confirms assault on security officer; suspect arrested
45 minutes -
Fiifi Coleman to revive ‘I Told You So’ as stage play in March
1 hour -
Ghana hosts high-level ministerial meeting on women and youth political participation
2 hours -
I was a top English and Fante student in secondary school – Kwaw Kese
2 hours -
UK Prisoner set to be deported to Ghana escapes police for second time in a week
2 hours -
PHDC, GNPC form new alliance to strengthen Ghana’s energy security
2 hours -
Bishops warn of deepening cocoa crisis and call for farmer relief
2 hours -
Gold Fields to hand over Damang Mine to Ghana in April 2026
2 hours
