Audio By Carbonatix
Legal counsel for broadcaster and former Ghana Airport Company Board Chairman, Paul Adom-Otchere, says the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) must prove any alleged wrongdoing against his client beyond a reasonable doubt, insisting no offense has so far been established.
Speaking on JoyFM’s Top Story on Friday, August 1, lawyer Nicholas Lenin Anane Agyei stressed that while Mr. Adom-Otchere remains cooperative, the constitutional burden of proof rests solely with the OSP.
“The OSP is still investigating. They bear the burden of proof to demonstrate that any crime has been committed by Mr. Adom-Otchere,” he stated.
“We wait on them to conclude their investigations and, if they are convinced any offense has been committed, they should go to court and prove it beyond reasonable doubt. From where we sit, we are not required to say anything or put up any defense.”
His comments follow the release of Mr. Adom-Otchere from the custody of the Special Prosecutor after he was granted bail.
He was released in the company of his legal team and former Attorney General, Godfred Dame.
“He has been released on bail, as the Constitution guarantees that if you are under investigation, your liberty should not be unnecessarily restrained. The reason why we are at a miss as to why the OSP was insistent on detaining him yesterday under unreasonable conditions, but he's been released,” Mr. Agyei noted.
He explained that Mr. Adom-Otchere is required to report to the OSP once every week or whenever requested, always in the company of his lawyers.
Responding to questions about his client’s condition following the detention, Mr. Agyei said the journalist remained upbeat and unfazed.
“For those of you in the media space, you know detention is an occupational hazard. In fact, recently, we have seen some other journalists suffering attacks while on duty. Mr. Adom-Otchere is in good spirits. He’s convicted as always, and in due time, you’ll hear from him on these matters.”
The investigation revolves around a controversial contract allegedly entered into during Mr. Adom-Otchere’s tenure as Board Chairman of the Ghana Airport Company Limited.
Tthe contract in question has now been officially terminated, and no public funds were paid to the vendor involved.
Despite this development, the OSP has indicated that its investigations continue, examining potential breaches of procurement laws and alleged abuse of office for personal gain—though no formal charges have been laid.
Latest Stories
-
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
5 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
12 minutes -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
14 minutes -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
17 minutes -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
18 minutes -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
20 minutes -
Delta Air Lines marks 20 years in Ghana, poised to offer travel options amid World Cup travel boom
24 minutes -
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan
28 minutes -
Australian man dies after falling down ravine on hike to Machu Picchu
29 minutes -
Ghanaian pilgrim dies during Tawaf ritual in Mecca
30 minutes -
Stakeholder dialogue in Tamale push for expanded agroforestry to tackle climate change and land degradation
32 minutes -
She refused to increase her sachet water price – and it changed her life forever
40 minutes -
Damang Mine concession should not be politicised — Mahama Ayariga
40 minutes -
An Indian bride dies, rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy
44 minutes -
GNFS averts disaster after diesel tanker crash on Konongo-Accra Highway
45 minutes