Audio By Carbonatix
Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia remains a strong contender in the New Patriotic Party’s presidential primary and could still emerge as the winner on January 31, 2026, but his margin of victory may be significantly slimmer than in the previous contest, where he secured over 60 per cent of the vote.
That assessment was made by broadcaster Paul Adom-Otchere, who says feedback from party delegates suggests shifting support patterns within key NPP strongholds, particularly the Ashanti Region.
Speaking on JoyNews' NewsFile on Saturday, Mr Adom-Otchere said Dr Bawumia may struggle to replicate his earlier dominance in Ashanti, where he previously polled about 66 per cent.
“Well, from what we had been gathering from delegates yesterday, I spoke to people in my constituency in Ejisu, and Bawumia had done 66% in Ashanti the last time. They don’t think he may get 66%,” he said.
He noted that rival contender Kennedy Agyapong appears to be consolidating support in regions such as the Central, Greater Accra and Volta regions, raising concerns within sections of Dr Bawumia’s camp.
“Even for my friends who are Bawumia people like Hassan Tampuli and others, they even think that Ken still has Greater Accra and Volta. That’s a concern,” Mr Adom-Otchere added.
According to him, for Dr Bawumia to secure a comfortable victory, he would need to post strong numbers in both the Ashanti and Eastern regions, which are expected to be decisive in the delegate-based election.
“Bawumia will need to pick up Ashanti heavy and pick up Eastern as well. So it is looking like if Bawumia wins — and he may win — he’s not going to achieve the 60% that he got the last time,” he said.
The NPP presidential primary is scheduled for January 31, 2026, as the party prepares to select a flagbearer ahead of the 2028 general elections, with internal regional dynamics increasingly shaping the outcome of the contest.
Latest Stories
-
Parliament reconvenes today
31 minutes -
Mahama’s silence on arrests of NPP officials is concerning – Ahiagbah
35 minutes -
Mahama isn’t suppressing free speech – Fifi Kwetey rejects Minority’s claims
38 minutes -
MASLOC CEO unveils new office at Bechem to support women-owned businesses
41 minutes -
Euroget to file affidavit against winding-up petition
44 minutes -
South Tongu DCE hands over sites for educational infrastructure projects
47 minutes -
Court remands mobile phone shop robbers
50 minutes -
Ghana intensifies Ebola preparedness amid outbreaks in Uganda, DR Congo
53 minutes -
DRIP equipment must not be diverted for private commercial use – National Coordinator
56 minutes -
Mamfehene calls for improved teacher motivation, discipline in schools
59 minutes -
Sports Minister debunk reports over mass visa denial of national supporters groups
1 hour -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
1 hour -
Beneficiaries of Nkoko Nketenkete programme share success stories
1 hour -
World Cup slots do not exist in my office – Sports Minister cautions
1 hour -
Media tasked to deepen role in advancing decentralisation reforms
1 hour