Audio By Carbonatix
The Health Committee in Parliament has backed the Health Ministry’s decision not to evacuate Ghanaians from China following the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, at least not now.
Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gapko was in Parliament and reports that at a meeting between the Ministry of Health, Ghana Health Service officials and the Committee Thursday afternoon, the health professionals defended the decision not to evacuate.
This satisfied the Committee.
In an interview with Joseph after the meeting, Chairman of Committee, Dr Kwabena Twum Nuamah said members, including the Minority, were convinced by the reasons given not to evacuate.
“At the committee level, we are a bit comfortable because we were told that in pandemic situations like this, you need to contain the situation.
“And this is a novel virus that has come up so whole world is being treated as one town so wherever you are identified, you need to be kept there and evaluated so that the disease will not spread to other places,” he said.

New cases and deaths in China’s Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, have pushed the national death toll above 1,350 with almost 60,000 infections in total.
At least 25 countries have confirmed cases and several nations have evacuated their citizens from Hubei. Three deaths have been recorded outside mainland China – one in Hong Kong, one in the Philippines, and the most recent in Japan
Africa has yet to record any cases but as other countries evacuate their citizens from China some Ghanaians and the Minority in Parliament had hoped government would do same.
They have given government a three-day ultimatum to bring Ghanaians, the majority of whom are students, back home or face them.
But this will not happen any time soon.

Dr Nuamah said, “what we got from the ministry is that they are always accessing the risk between evacuating and keeping them there and the decision they have taken so far is that as of now, they are not going to evacuate them but they are still assessing the situation.”
But in case, there is the need to evacuate, the Chairman said the Ministry is well prepared to carry out an evacuation within 48 hours.
“They are really well prepared and they are in constant touch with the citizens there. They have had a video conference call with them and they are being supported with logistics and funds,” Dr Nuamah disclosed.
“So currently everything is okay,” he added.
Dr Nuamah also disclosed that the Ministry has engaged the services of psychologists to assist them as most of them are traumatised.
The coronavirus which has been officially named causes severe acute respiratory infection and symptoms usually start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. Most people infected are likely to fully recover - just as they would from a flu.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
4 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
16 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
18 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
35 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
39 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
40 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
41 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
44 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
44 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
49 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
50 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
51 minutes -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
53 minutes -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
60 minutes -
Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
1 hour