Audio By Carbonatix
A top police officer whose voice was captured on the leaked tape in a conversation with former Bugri NPP Northern Regional Chairman was being economical with the truth in his narrative presented by the Chief to the committee during Monday’s hearing.
The Commissioner of Police (COP) George Alex Mensah insists that Bugri Naabu's testimony given about him in the leaked tape during the probe is false.
Earlier today, the officer had fought off claims and alleged that the voice on the tape attributed to him may have been doctored for parochial gain.
🇬🇭Alleged plot to remove IGP: Bugri Naabu came here to lie❗️- COP George Alex Mensah tells Parliamentary Committee pic.twitter.com/vHL0TMVHSb
— Kenneth Awotwe Darko (@TheKennethDarko) August 31, 2023
The committee pressed further, recounting portions of Mr Naabu’s assertions from Monday which suggested that “we chiefs do not like to lie” adding that “the tape is correct.”
But COP Mensah would have none of that.
He referenced the initial testimony from one Supt Emmanuel Gyebi who had been reportedly invited, to meet Bugri Naabu to further present the tape to President Akufo-Addo.

Supt. Gyebu during his section of the probe, denied that he had ever entered any such agreement.
On the back of this, COP George Alex Mensah said Bugri Naabu’s word cannot be taken as gospel.
“We were all here when Supt Gyebi denied that he never spoke to Bugri Naabu. Bugri Naabu came here to lie,” he said.
On July 25, the Speaker of Parliament announced Abuakwa South MP, Samuel Atta-Akyea as the chairperson of a 7-member adhoc committee to probe the recently leaked controversial audio in which voices are heard clandestinely plotting to oust the Inspector General of Police.
The viral audio, which revealed a conspiracy by a senior police officer and a leading member of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) to remove the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr George Akuffo Dampare from office, resulted in a debate on the floor of Parliament with the Minority calling for a forensic audit.
Subsequently, the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Sumana Bagbin proposed the Special Committee last Thursday, adding that the names of the members should be presented to him within one week.
Making the list public during Tuesday’s sitting, Mr. Bagbin said the committee is to submit its report by September 10.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
2 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
2 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
2 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
2 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
2 hours -
‘My heart is shattered beyond words’ – Choirmaster mourns wife Beverly Afaglo
3 hours -
East Africa wants to curb imports of used clothes, but it’s not easy
3 hours -
California declares emergency as fire crews race to contain toxic leak
3 hours -
Social Democrats’ Ennis elected in Dublin Central by-election
3 hours -
At least 82 killed in Chinese coal mine explosion
3 hours -
Choirmaster announces death of wife Beverly Afaglo
3 hours -
Bank boss sorry after describing workers as ‘lower value human capital’
3 hours -
India’s parody ‘cockroach party’ claims website has been blocked
3 hours -
I survived a missile strike in the Strait of Hormuz, but my friend has not been found
3 hours