This captivating poem by Amarkine uses symbolism to tell Ghana’s gory illegal gold mining story. The story of the destruction to water bodies and the aquatic life by illegal gold miners is a sad one and the tone of this poem adequately captures it.
My eyes popped out at what my ears heard.
Gold is rusting in the Gold Coast
And the rains, instead of falling from the skies to douse the rot,
Are springing and shooting up from the ground.
The sky no longer exists.
The top we all looked up to has become a hollowed space,
Dirtied with greedy lust
And gold dust.
All the heavens above us,
With its suns and stars
Now live under our feet.
And the gods who lived up there have fallen and become
Operators of earthmoving excavators.
And everyone watches on,
Thinking these are surreal and make-believe scenes from Kumawood.
Nkrumah is convinced these are not his people.
He tells J.B. his country is under siege from neocolonialists
Who have landed on Ghanaian soil from an Airbus.
Ephraim Amu turns in his grave and swears:
This is not my “Yen Ara Asaase ni”
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- Blunt and Blay: Finding ‘silence’ for Auntie Ohene from uncle Sam’s ‘noise’
- Woman allegedly murders elder sister over a piece of land
- Far from silence, we suffer a culture of noise – Elizabeth Ohene
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- Trader jailed for impregnating his physically challenged daughter
- NSMQ 2021: Presec beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- Playback: NSMQ 2021: Legon PRESEC, Achimota and Odorgonno battle for Greater Accra Regional supremacy
Akufo-Addo’s government has a track record for fixing problems, we will overcome Covid challenges – Bawumia
Students of Obuasi Sec Tech develop smart ballot box
Chieftaincy Ministry condemns ‘Pneumatica Night’; charges police to prosecute leaders over Covid-19 protocols
Cost of getting elected to positions is the root of corruption – Asiedu Nketia
#FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
Ahafo Health Director grateful to stakeholders for Covid-19 control
Domestic fires continue to dominate in Upper East Region
UMAT scholarship beneficiaries pay courtesy visit to Yaw Adutwum
Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
National Security Minister meets #FixTheCountry organisers ahead of May 9 protest
#FixTheCountry: Ghana has all markings of a failed state – Sam George
Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
NDC has no hand in the #FixTheCountry campaign – Sam George
AIDS continues to be a threat to society – Dr Ayisi Addo
Timing of introduction of petroleum levies poor and may worsen businesses – ACEP