Audio By Carbonatix
Police in Accra is interrogating two men suspected to have stolen two Nissan Pick-up vehicles.
The suspects, Prince Okafor, 36 and Augustine Okafor, 24, all Nigerians, were arrested by an officer of the Formed Police Unit (FPU) at Tesano on March 24 while attempting to smuggle the vehicles out of Accra.
According to Myjoyonline sources, the vehicles were among 10 others of the same kind that had been purchased by the government from Svani Company.
They had been taken to a washing bay on the Spintex road for cleaning.
It was there that the suspects, who were said to have been aided by one of the guys who work at the washing bay, took two of the vehicles and drove them away.
The arresting officer, who had closed from work on the day, was suspicious of their movements when they got to the Abeka junction and true to his suspicion, the suspects drove off when the traffic light there turned green.
He pursued them until they got to the Achimota Neoplan terminal where the light had turned red, enabling the officer to drive past them and impeded their movement.
The source said just when the armed officer pulled out of his vehicle and approached the drivers of the two vehicles, one of them immediately took to his heels leaving the other driver with three other occupants in it.
When they were questioned where they were taking the vehicles to one of them said they were taking them to someone.
The officer then asked them to follow him to the Tesano police station while they call the supposed owner to come there to confirm that the vehicles were for him.
While that was going on, the three other occupants also fled leaving the driver.
The officer then reached out for a re-enforcement team from the FPU base at the National Police Training School at Tesano, who arrived on time to tow the vehicles and the suspects to the Tesano police station.
It was upon interrogation at the police station that it emerged that the vehicles had been bought by the government and were being cleaned at the washing bay which is believed to be owned by another Nigerian, when two of them were reportedly stolen.
The case has since been taken over by the Accra Regional Command who have launched a manhunt for the four other accomplices who escaped arrest while the owner of the washing bay is said to be assisting the police with investigations.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
12 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
33 minutes -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
36 minutes -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
1 hour -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
1 hour -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
2 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
3 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
4 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 hours