Audio By Carbonatix
Police in the North East Region have denied bail for 12 suspects arrested in Chereponi in connection with the violent protest that followed the appointment of Hajia Zuweratu Nashiru as DCE of the area.
The decision followed a meeting with some regional executives of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) led by the Chairman, Nurudeen Fuseini, who were at the police command in an attempt to secure bail for the suspects.
The police however refused to grant the request and insisted on going ahead to screen and process the culprits for court.
The arrest was carried out on Tuesday morning in a house-to-house search operation led by the Regional Commander DCOP Moses Ali, with nearly eighty heavily armed police troops alongside three senior officers.
The suspects include; Kwabena Manteng, 43, Iddrisu Abdul-Rahaman, 42, Sumaila Ibrahim, 16, Kasim Abdul-Aziz, 28, Kasim Latif, 65, Ibrahim Awuffor, 23, Osman Yussif, 36, Mohammed Abdul-Latif, 29, Fuseini Bawa, 30, Kwame Mahamud, 31, Bashiru Ayabli, 28 and Arimiyaw, 22.
The police claim the suspects were identified following their analyses of several video footage of the violent protest which occurred last Sunday against the President's decision to appoint Madam Zuweratu Nashiru as the area's District Chief Executive.
The Chereponi town has since been quiet after the security operation but supporters of the ruling New Patriotic Party say they have been disappointed and the arrest, they said, has only added salt to injury.
The violent protest led to the destruction of several NPP properties and at least one person wounded after the angry supporters invaded the residence of the constituency chairman.
The Chairman in the company of other Regional executives and nearly a dozen followers arrived at the command while the suspects were being screened to be processed for court.
And after a closed-door meeting with the police, the party regional secretary confirmed to JoyNews all the suspects had been granted bail.
The suspects were seen in a pick-up vehicle only to be taken back into custody after a JoyNews report of the purported release.
The police, however, have disputed that claim by the regional secretary and said they will do everything necessary to ensure due process is followed in the matter.
Earlier, the failed aspirant, S.K Orlando, had warned of severe consequences if the suspects were not released.
Latest Stories
-
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media posts – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
2 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
2 minutes -
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
6 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
9 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
11 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
12 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
12 minutes -
AMA denies forceful eviction claims over Makola market redevelopment
13 minutes -
AFCON 2027Q: Black Stars drawn in Group C, face Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia and Somalia
15 minutes -
VRA Academy targets engineering skills gap through ECREE Regional Training programme
18 minutes -
Africa poised to lead in global digital finance evolution – MTN Group CEO
25 minutes -
Abesim youth to demonstrate against galamsey activities in Tano River
28 minutes -
Free Zones CEO Mary Awusi faces CHRAJ petition over alleged misconduct
55 minutes -
Black Stars legends to headline KN Foundation charity outreach for Nsawam Prison inmates
58 minutes -
2026 World Cup: We want to show we are a top nation – Semenyo
60 minutes