The Ashanti Regional Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) has arrested about 220 tricycle and motorcycle riders in the last two days.
The special operation emanated from a directive from the Regional Security Council (REGSEC), following the rampant accidents involving these means of transport on roads in the metropolis.
It is estimated that for every four cases of road accidents handled at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital’s Accident and Emergency Unit, three of them comprised either a tricycle or motorcycle.
Superintendent Emmanuel Adu Boahen, the Regional MTTD Commander, briefing the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi, said offences leveled against the riders related to overloading, riding without helmets and licenses, and riding in between lanes.
They were rounded up from the Municipalities within Greater Kumasi, including Asokore-Mampong, Kwadaso, Oforikrom, Suame, Asokwa, Old Tafo and some suburbs of the Kumasi metropolis.
“We are processing these culprits to be arraigned,” he stated, stressing that the police had impounded all those tricycles and motorcycles without valid license.
The REGSEC in a recent statement expressed concern about “the blatant way riders flout traffic regulations with impunity, resulting in deaths and injuries to innocent citizens.”
“Not only are the activities of the riders of these tricycles on our roads and highways a nuisance to other road users, but also pose several risks.
“They ride recklessly and engage in dangerous and wrongful crossing of other road users,” the statement lamented.
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- Robbers make away with over ¢100k in alleged bullion van attack
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- Pastor whose prophecy triggered Shatta Wale’s fake shooting fiasco arrested
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- Why Samini thinks IGP won’t be laughing at Shatta Wale’s expensive joke
- Tiwa Savage reacts to alleged sex tape
- Akufo-Addo’s denial of promise to build harbour in Cape Coast is shocking – Abeiku Adams
- CAGD backtracks on ‘No Ghana Card, No Salary’ directive to public sector workers
- Shatta Wale arrested over hoax shooting incident
World Cup Qualifiers: Ethiopia’s Bahir Dar stadium banned, Walyas could play Black Stars on neutral ground
AWCON Qualifiers: Black Queens aim for fancied Nigeria upset
Salah scores twice as Liverpool beat 10-man Atletico
Messi brace inspires PSG comeback victory over Leipzig
Man City brush aside Club Brugge in emphatic victory
Put Shatta Wale and publisher before court for alleged fake gun attack – ASEPA petitions CID
Two arrested for circulating false information in connection with alleged gunshot attack on Shatta Wale
30 companies and 4 individuals honoured at 2021 Customer’s Choice
Shatta Wale arrested over hoax shooting incident
Playback: PM Express discusses demand for MMDCEs election re-run
KATH Psychiatry Unit launches caregiver support group for children with special needs
MP for Tamale Central reaffirms Minority’s commitment to pass anti-LGBTQI+ bill, Asks Akufo-Addo to make stance clear
NSMQ 2021: St Thomas Aquinas, Mfantsipim, Aggrey Memorial, Bolgatanga SHS and others to contest in prelims
Transgender is a mental health condition – Expert
Shatta Wale could be charged for publication of false information – Justice Abdulai