The Northern Region Police have picked up another Chief in connecting with the dispute in the Tatale district that led to the death of one person and four others wounded in the Northern Region.
The Chief of Kuyili, Ubore Nambu Jakobiki IV was brought in on Monday afternoon from Tatale.
Earlier, a Tamale Magistrate Court remanded into prison custody Chief of Yapul Obore Bajah Sanjoku in relation to the said conflict.
The Northern Regional Crime Officer, Bernard Baba Ananga said the police attention was drawn to a conflict between two chiefs the Chief of Yapul and Kuyili over the right to enskin a chief in Bichachabe in Tatale area.
He said the Kuyili chief decided to enskin the Chief of Bichacha which did not have a chief.
The Crime Officer said after the enskinment, the new chief and followers were in a procession towards Bichachabi when they were ambushed and shot at.
He said the supporters identified some people who were allegedly linked to the Yapul chief.
Supt. Ananga said the police began investigations and nine suspects were arrested adding that five people sustained gunshot wounds.
He said one subsequently died while the remaining four are currently on admission at the hospital.
The regional crime officer said five suspects are currently on the run and they believe they are still around the Tatale area.
He said the Kuyili chief is helping with investigations adding that he was warned of the volatile security situation ahead of the enskinment but still went ahead to conduct the exercise.
He said armed police officers are on the ground to ensure calm is restored while they continue to monitor the development.
Supt Ananga added that the nine have been remanded into police custody to reappear on December 17.
He said they have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, rioting with weapons and murder.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Agenda 111: 8 hospitals in Northern Region to be completed by December 2023 – Regional Minister
- Tafo Pankrono BECE candidates get free tuition ahead of final examination
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining site in Samreboi
- Judges call on Finance Ministry to fast-track payment of their outstanding allowances
- Banks still safest place to keep funds and invest despite economic challenges – Alhassan Andani
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- World Heart Day: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure
- Global Citizen Festival campaign culminates in $2.4b to end extreme poverty
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- World Heart Day: A look at Vodafone Ghana’s contributions to cardiac wellness
- Ghana elected Chair of the Commonwealth ITU Group
- 19 die after drinking toxic alcohol
- 21 Ghanaians to receive Global Summit awards