There is a shortage of Oral Polio vaccines in the Northern Region.
According to reports, it has been out of stock on a national level.
This has created panic among parents who have newborns who should have received the vaccine.
The shortage comes at a time the Northern Region has discovered polio virus in some drains in Koblimagu in the Tamale Metropolis and Nyanshegu in the Sagnarigu Municipality.
Deputy Director of Public Health at the Northern Regional Health Directorate, Dr Hilarius Abiwu who confirmed the shortage directed JoyNews to the National Manager Expanded Programme on Immunisation.
Poliovirus is a virus that may cause paralysis and is easily preventable by the polio vaccine.
It is transmitted through contaminated water or food, or contact with an infected person.
Ghana recorded the last case of poliomyelitis caused by wild poliovirus in 2008 and the country was declared polio-free in 2015.
But in 2019 a two-year-old little girl was diagnosed with polio and a couple of weeks ago the virus was also found in some drains in the area.
Parents in the region are calling on government to address the shortage
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- We won’t recognise Ghanaian doctors trained in war-hit Ukraine – Medical and Dental Council
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Government currently has zero equity interest in AngloGold Ashanti – Sam Jonah
- We must build on second half performance against Brazil – Inaki Williams
- Smugglers Paradise: GRA to investigate how custom officials aided in oil smuggling
- Nico Williams comments on Inaki’s decision to play for Ghana
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Release incarcerated KNUST students – Katanga Hall Alumni Association
- Government re-affirms position to leave no one digitally behind
- Otto Addo hints at mass changes for Nicaragua friendly
- Ghana re-affirms position to leave no one digitally behind – Communications Minister
- Samuel Boadu leaves Hearts of Oak by mutual termination
- YEA organises retreat to strategise for 2023 working year
- Energy Minister promotes Ghana’s offshore oil blocks to investors in USA
- Too early to speculate on debt restructuring – IMF
- Microsoft strengthens partnership with AfDB to fast-track youth entrepreneurship in Africa
- GIJ holds inter-faculty lecture to promote research
- Why Black Stars will need to avoid complacency against Nicaragua
- Challenging Heights rescues 24 more children from human trafficking
- Abuse of social media becoming a pervasive threat to democracy – Ayorkor Botchwey
- Aisha Huang trial: We need to take a strong stance against illegal mining – Judge
- Aisha Huang denied bail again as judge calls on judiciary to help save water bodies
- African Union: Peace and Security Commissioner Bankole Adeoye blasts his staff