Gender Minister, Otiko Afisa Djaba has laughed off social media criticism after she was captured taking selfies at the 72nd UN General Assembly while the President was delivering his address.
Madam Otiko said it was a proud moment for her to witness the President speak at the UN for which reason she wanted to “capture the moment.”
In a light-hearted moment, the Minister blushingly told Joy News’ Gifty Andoh Appiah, "people saw me and they talked about it…I wanted to tell the world our president was making a fantastic speech."
“This was a unique moment of an African president…Nana Akufo-Addo was telling the world that there is a new Africa moving us out of poverty and aid.”
The Deputy Chief of Staff, Samuel Abu Jinapor, was pictured in a selfie pose with the Gender Minister during the September 21 UN General Assembly address.
The photo went viral attracting a wide range of ridicule.
But the vociferous Otiko Djaba said it was out of the question for people to say she should have waited for the President to finish with his address because “when Obama came to Ghana everybody was taking pictures to capture the moment.”
According to her, some other people sitting in front of her also took selfies but “because it is Otiko somebody decided to make it negative. There is nothing negative about taking selfies.”
She said she felt sorry for her detractors who are only taking a dig at her because they are jealous to see her having a good time.
Madam Djaba rejected claims that she likes controversies adding she absorbs controversies because “I am a strong woman, I am passionate and I will not apologise for who I am.”
Watch the video below:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Dagbon protests: New region will not affect traditional boundaries – Dan Botwe
- Emir of Qatar lauds Akufo-Addo for ‘governing Ghana well’
- Ministerial nominees to be vetted by specific committees - Prof Mike Ocquaye
- Mahama promises law to regulate 'galamsey' if elected president
- OccupyGhana educates NPP MP on Right to Information Bill
- Speaker to name, shame MPs who are always late
- Office of Special Prosecutor: L.I. reaches Parliament – Gov't claims
- Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS policy law plan a joke – Minority
- NDC 'astonished' at President's 'my appointees are clean claim'
- Photo story: Furious Thursday turns to funny Monday at Adentan demo
- Kojo Bonsu pledges to make NDC 'most attractive party'
- ‘It’s long overdue’: MP accuses gov't of feet-dragging over anti-graft law
- Akufo-Addo leaves for a day's visit to Qatar
- NPP Youth Organiser elected IYDU Vice Chair
- Mahama takes campaign tour to Ashanti Region