Government has granted a five year tax holiday and duty-free regime for the importation of raw materials and machinery by companies operating under the One District One Factory (IDIF) programme.
The President, Nana Akufo Addo announced the incentive when he commissioned the biggest baby sanitary pad factory under the 1D1F programme at Bortianor near Accra.
The commissioning was done Thursday, during the president’s tour of Accra to inspect a number of projects in the capital
Joy News’ presidential correspondent Elton John Brobbey reported that the 40 million dollar facility by Chinese firm Sunda is one of three other factories established in Ghana in the last two years.
The 1D1F initiative is a 2016 campaign promise by the president to add value to raw materials in Ghana.
The policy is to improve Ghana’s foreign exchange earnings, provide jobs and to propel the Ghana Beyond Aid agenda by the government.
Two years after coming to power critics have questioned the feasibility of the policy after it emerged government failed to honour its promise to complete 50 factories in the first year.
But the president is not perturbed by the criticisms. Commissioning the $40m diaper factory, the president said the government is on course to achieving its promises of providing jobs to the people.
He indicated the government’s resolve to maintain current economic indicators to encourage industrial growth.
He said despite skepticism about his promises, he is delivering on them.
Trade minister Alan Kyeremanteng also called on others to take advantage of the tax incentives under the program and invest in Ghana.
Sunda international has branches into the Ghanaian market over a decade ago with production of fast moving consumer goods.
They, however, ventured into the ceramics and real estate last year.
Chairman of the group Dong Ming Hu said Ghana’s political climate coupled with its good business-friendly environment influenced their decision to invest in the country.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court