The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has chosen Nalerigu as the capital of the newly created North East region.
He disclosed this Tuesday at the Jubilee House in Accra, at a ceremony to present Constitutional Instruments (CI 116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah regions.
The two regions, together with – Oti, Bono East, Ahafo and Western North – were created following a successful referenda last year.
Northern Regional Minister, Salifu Saeed will act as minister for the North East until a substantive minister is appointed.
The president assured that government projects and structures will be equitably spread across the region.
“Already as contained in the President’s 2019 budget, seed capital of ¢20 million has been allocated for each region to aid in its smooth take-off.
“Government will make sure that the desire for growth and progress, which was the underlining reason for the vote for the creation of the North East region is met,” the president said.
The Tarana, the First Elder of the Nayiri welcomed the president’s announcement.
He called on all natives of the region to rally behind the chiefs to bring about the rapid development to the area.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria
- Short Commission: Police denies knowledge of SWAT vehicle, masked men
- Rawlings calls for global political accountability
- Short Commission probe: No armed men in any of our polling stations - Jean Mensa
- Lack of political will cause of growing vigilantism - Aning
- Chief berates Nkoranza youth for defecting from NPP over siting of Bono East capital
- Osafo-Maafo blasts Mahama for ‘painting Ghana black’ to diplomats
- Emile Short C'ssion: NDC won't discourage affected members from testifying