The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has chosen Nalerigu as the capital of the newly created North East region.
He disclosed this Tuesday at the Jubilee House in Accra, at a ceremony to present Constitutional Instruments (CI 116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah regions.
The two regions, together with – Oti, Bono East, Ahafo and Western North – were created following a successful referenda last year.
Northern Regional Minister, Salifu Saeed will act as minister for the North East until a substantive minister is appointed.
The president assured that government projects and structures will be equitably spread across the region.
“Already as contained in the President’s 2019 budget, seed capital of ¢20 million has been allocated for each region to aid in its smooth take-off.
“Government will make sure that the desire for growth and progress, which was the underlining reason for the vote for the creation of the North East region is met,” the president said.
The Tarana, the First Elder of the Nayiri welcomed the president’s announcement.
He called on all natives of the region to rally behind the chiefs to bring about the rapid development to the area.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Parliamentary immunity: Majority Leader urges caution
- Judge throws out Speaker of Parliament immunity letter again
- Read full court ruling: The Republic vrs Mahama Ayariga
- Tamale NPP boys lock up National Sports Authority office
- Martin Amidu's charges against Ayariga suffer in court
- Court gives Amidu green light to prosecute Ayariga
- Youth of Awutu Senya West reject call for George Andah to resign
- ‘My heart is clean’ – Embattled Ofosu Ampofo looks to God for redemption
- ‘Secure lives of citizens’ – Mahama laments 'insecurity' under Akufo-Addo
- NPP didn’t promise not to borrow - Baako challenges NDC claims
- Ghana, Jamaica waive visa for citizens
- NAPO demands apology from Sammy Gyamfi, Zu over kidnapper linkage
- Canadian girls' rescue: No ransom negotiations occurred - Baako backs gov't
- Is gov't trying to gag security capos? - Security analyst quizzes
- Akufo-Addo's policies to fight corruption unmatched in 4th Republic – Bawumia