The youth at Salaga South constituency are angry following the citing of Damango as the regional capital of the newly created Savanna region.
The office of the governing New Patriotic Party in the constituency was set ablaze Tuesday evening.
“The place is burning down, people are throwing stones and all manner of things,” an eye witness told Joy News.
The protesters, displeased by President, Nana Akufo-Addo’s announcement Tuesday, insist Salaga deserved to be the regional capital.
They argued the people of Salaga South showed faith in the New Patriotic Party by voting the party’s parliamentary candidate, Salifu Adam Braimah as MP.
They say the choice of Damongo which voted for an NDC candidate Adam Mutawakilu, does not reward the peoples’ faith in the NPP.
The roofing, fridges, windows, satellite dish and computers are among the many things destroyed by the fire.
Although there is police presence “they cannot do anything”. Attempts by firefighters at the scene to douse the flames have been thwarted by the angry youths.
The eye witness said pick axes have been brought in by the irate youth to pull down the building.
The security apparatus has been paralysed by the actions of the youth who are having a field day in venting their anger.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria
- Short Commission: Police denies knowledge of SWAT vehicle, masked men
- Rawlings calls for global political accountability
- Short Commission probe: No armed men in any of our polling stations - Jean Mensa
- Lack of political will cause of growing vigilantism - Aning
- Chief berates Nkoranza youth for defecting from NPP over siting of Bono East capital
- Osafo-Maafo blasts Mahama for ‘painting Ghana black’ to diplomats
- Emile Short C'ssion: NDC won't discourage affected members from testifying