On Saturday 15th June 2019, during the Joy News/TV news analysis show, Newsfile, member of Parliament for the Tamale North Constituency, Alhassan Suhuyini peddled blatant falsehood by saying that in December 2016 the then running mate Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia tweeted that the NPP Party, when voted into office, will harness the resources of the country to develop Ghana ’without borrowing’.
Although other panelists on the show disclaimed this assertion and called for its disregard Mr. Suhuyini failed to accept guilt. Yet when challenged, Mr. Suhuyini failed to produce evidence to his claim but rather called for international IT experts to help him provide the evidence.
I wish to place on record to Mr. Suhuyini, his NDC cohorts and all those who take delight in communicating such falsehood that Dr. Bawumia never made any tweets or statements during the 2016 campaign period that the NPP government would never borrow if voted to power.
I am by this statement challenging Mr. Suhuyini or anyone who has evidence to the contrary to adduce same.
Dr. Bawumia and the government of His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo still stand by the principle of responsible public expenditure financing through the optimal mix of tax revenues, borrowed funds, grants or any other sources useful to the development of the country.
Like the over 13 billion cedis borrowed to save the deposits of over 1.2 million customers of distressed banks and microfinance institutions, the government will continue to exercise its discretion of borrowing insofar as it remains important, needful and permissible.
Government is however mindful of the need to ensure debt sustainability, judicious use of borrowed funds, and the productivity that must come with such funds. It is in the light of this that this government has taken the painstaking efforts to avert the mistakes of the past and passed the fiscal responsibility act to constrain government borrowing not to exceed a certain limit of the nation’s gross domestic product (GDP).
Politics is supposed to be a decent game and all actors therein must communicate with facts. I urge the media to constantly put everyone to strict proof for every claim made.
—— Signed ——
Dr. Gideon Boako
Spokesperson to the Vice President
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat
- Parliament approves €276m facility for Tamale water project
- Change constitution, cap constituencies - CDD Fellow
- I feel sad for cocoa farmers - Mahama
- Ayariga's lawyers urge court to put trial on hold
- Kwame Owusu's appointment to GRA endorses corruption - NDC