The Director of Research at the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), Dr. John Kwakye, wants the Ministry of Finance, the Bank of Ghana and the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) to promptly transfer to the Petroleum Holding Fund (PHF) the $100 million fund that were paid into a different account overseas.
According to him, if the money belongs to Ghana, then the Ghana National Petroleum Commission can’t keep outside the Bank of Ghana custody.
The Public Interest and Accountability Committee (PIAC) yesterday November 17, 2022, insisted that some $100 million of Ghana’s petroleum receipts were paid into a different account other than PHF, flouting the laws of Ghana.
Appearing before the ad-hoc parliamentary committee probing conflict of interest and reckless economic mismanagement allegations against Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, Vice Chair of PIAC, Abdul Nasir Alfa Mohammed said “we explored all the laws, in our opinion, that border around this issue and we still came to an independent opinion, which we stand by on any day, that those revenues ought to have formed part of the revenues of Ghana and to have been deposited in the petroleum holding fund and not in any other account”.
But in a tweet, Dr. Kwakye said “The question is whether the $100 million belongs to Ghana or not. If it does, then GNPC can’t keep outside BoG custody. The Min. of Finance, BoG and GRA must ensure that the money is promptly transferred to the PHF held by BoG”.
He also said that all public officials resigning from their positions or being sacked must be made to declare their assets before they leave office.
“All those resigning from office or being sacked must be made to declare their assets before they leave and this must be compared with the declaration when they assumed office. OSP, over to you!”
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group