Record 14-time champion out of the French Open Rafa Nadal says he plans to retire after the 2024 season.
“I didn’t make the decision, my body made the decision. To play Roland Garros is impossible,” he said.
“Next year will be my last year on tour – that is my idea. If I keep going now I won’t be able to make that happen.”
For the first time in 19 years, Rafael Nadal will miss the French Open after a hip injury ruled him out the record 14-time men’s singles champion.
The 36-year-old Spaniard holds the joint record number of men’s major triumphs alongside Serbia’s Novak Djokovic.
Rafa Nadal has won 70 other ATP titles and spent 209 weeks at world number one – the sixth longest amount in ATP history.
The Mallorcan left-hander aka the ‘King of Clay’, Nadal has won 112 of his 115 matches at the French Open.
However, he has not played since sustaining the problem at the Australian Open in January.
Nadal has been practising in recent weeks, but has not been fit enough to play a tournament in the run-up to Roland Garros.
The French Open starts in Paris on 28 May and runs until 11 June.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, June 1, 2023
- OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Nigeria’s fuel subsidy: How the new president has shocked the nation
- Debt ceiling deal: US House overwhelmingly passes bill
- The Truman Show: Has a film ever predicted the future so accurately?
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- Ukraine war: Children die in new missile attack on Kyiv
- IMF should ask government how it has managed natural resources – Dr. Ashigbey
- Why the ‘back-up career’ is moving further out of reach
- People of Bawku admonished to give peace a chance
- Tano River more polluted than it was a year ago – Erastus Asare Donkor
- US actor Danny Masterson found guilty on two rape counts
- Lower rate of Early Warning System implementation in Africa is a concern – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
- Government is emboldening illegal miners – Dr Pelpuo
- Resurgence of galamsey a testament of government failure – Dr. Pelpuo