Audio By Carbonatix
Rescuers have spent Tuesday pulling body bags and survivors from a South African mine where scores of illegal miners are still thought to be at least 2km (1.2 miles) underground.
Eighty-two people have surfaced alive from the shaft in Stilfontein since the rescue mission began on Monday, police say, while 36 dead bodies have been retrieved.
On Tuesday, the BBC saw dozens of emaciated miners - wearing tattered clothes and no shoes or socks - being escorted to a medical tent.
Some of the body bags appeared so light that they were only carried by one person.
The men have been underground since police operations targeting illicit mining started last year across the country.
More than 100 of the illegal miners, known locally as "zama zamas", have reportedly died underground since the crackdown on their activities began at the mine some 145km (90 miles) southwest of Johannesburg last year.
The authorities, however, have not confirmed this figure as it is yet to be "verified by an official source", a spokesperson told the BBC.

Relatives and community members have been protesting at the mining site, armed with placards urging the authorities to rescue the miners.
They look weary and tell the BBC on Tuesday that they have tired of speaking to the media.
Zinzi Tom explained that her 29-year-old brother, Ayanda, went down the mine in June because he was unemployed and wanted to make a living.
"We questioned whether he should do it, but he's of age, he can do whatever he wants. But now that's not the point. The point is that we want to save him. We want him out," she said.
Some of the miners that managed to escape have told Ms Tom that her brother is not well. She hopes he will be one those rescued soon.
Ms Tom describes her brother as quiet and private, adding: "I need to be strong for him, because I can't be weak now. He needs me more than ever."
The mood among the relatives outside the mine turned sour when a convoy carrying Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe and the police minister arrived at the site.
The government has been criticised for taking a hard line on the illegal miners by blocking their food and water supplies. They also shut off all but one of the mine's exits.
Last week a court ordered the government to facilitate a rescue operation that had been long-delayed.
The authorities have defended their robust response to the miners and in a press conference outside the mine Mantashe said the "fight against illegal mining" should be intensified.
"It's a crime against the economy, it's an attack on the economy," he said.
Latest Stories
-
55-year-old woman gives birth to triplets at Brofoyedru
2 minutes -
UniMAC students take ‘Project Dignity’ to Weija Leprosarium
11 minutes -
Ghana’s gaming industry emerges as $121m digital economy opportunity
18 minutes -
Why Ghana needs Regional Tribunals and why history shouldn’t prevent their establishment
28 minutes -
DVLA to print driver’s licenses at offices across the country
32 minutes -
ASEC calls on GRIDCo to publish full report on recent power outages
35 minutes -
CAGD orders covered entities to seek approval before opening bank accounts
35 minutes -
AFREIKH Summer School opens with focus on managing Africa’s extractive future in energy transition
41 minutes -
UPSA challenges students to turn classroom knowledge into real-world solutions
59 minutes -
Ghana urged to build capacity to maximise China’s zero-tariff policy
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: TEMASCO returns to one-eighth stage after last year’s heartbreaking loss
1 hour -
Photos: Republic Bank JoyNews Habitat Fair Day 1 draws visitors as they engage exhibitors
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: AHEMAA silence AHENEMMA – Kumasi Girls storm into one-eighth stage as OKESS stumble
1 hour -
Profs4Agyarko hail newly elected NPP regional executives
1 hour -
Bono Police arrest suspect over alleged GH¢1.1m fake gold deal in Berekum
1 hour