Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo is performing to the best of his abilities and could continue playing at the top level even at the age of 40, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said.
The Portugal forward has scored four goals for United since returning to the Premier League club from Serie A’s Juventus in August after 12 years away.
Solskjaer praised the physical fitness of the 36-year-old Ronaldo, who last week reclaimed the top spot among the world’s highest-paid soccer players from Lionel Messi.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if he was still playing at 40,” Solskjaer said before Saturday’s league game at home to Aston Villa. “The way he looks after himself, that’s the key, that’s the key to it all and, of course, some genes.
“He has put every single ounce of energy and effort into becoming the player he is.”
The Norwegian manager said Ronaldo, who has won five Ballon d’Or awards for the best player in world football, is “hungry as ever” for laurels.
“His mentality is still absolutely spot on and that’s just desire from inside of him,” Solskjaer said. “He’s going to keep going until his legs or even his head say, ‘No that’s it, I’ve given everything now.'”
United is third in the Premier League table with four wins and a draw but level on points with leaders Chelsea and Liverpool.
- Developing world faces $2.5trn shock; Ghana behaves like rich sultanate in the gulf – Bloomberg
- Chinese nationals release dogs on GRA tax officers at quarry site
- Police pursue Caprice robbery suspects
- Beautiful photos drop as Mahama’s son and Algerian wife welcome their 1st child
- Domestic Debt Exchange: Time ticks for bondholders
- Alan Kyerematen’s campaign song pops up at Kufuor’s 84th birthday bash
- Some ministers I reshuffled are no more friends with me – Mahama
- Kofi Kinaata’s ‘Made in Taadi’ 2022 edition cancelled
- Court discharges 6 Policemen accused of bullion van robberies
- 1$ now ¢12.80
- How long does it take to fall in love?
- Ghana Cedi: From worst to best performer against dollar
- COVID-19: Vulnerable populations face higher burden of morbidity and mortality – Health Minister
- George Floyd: Ex-officer J Alexander Kueng sentenced for manslaughter
- Stay away from workers’ pension funds – CWU tells government
- Canada: Quebec makes oath to King optional for politicians
- Ghana produces first locally trained Geriatrician
- Alan Kyerematen mobbed by NPP grassroots at party’s headquarters
- The self-proclaimed kingdom that doesn’t recognise Germany
- World Cup 2022: Morocco hope for ‘breakthrough’ for Africa in quarter-final against Portugal
- Haruna Iddrisu, others laud Opare Addo for his good works as NDC National Youth Organsier
- Gunmen kidnap Nigerian politician’s wife and children
- D’banj released from custody over lack of evidence – lawyer
- IOM, JICA donate equipment and ambulances to GHS
- Debt-ridden Ghana’s cedi posts world’s biggest gain against US dollar