Audio By Carbonatix
Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, the Minister of Finance, has directed an immediate ban on the land transit of cooking oil, insisting that all such consignments must enter and exit Ghana only through the country’s seaports.
The directive follows the interception of 18 articulated trucks suspected of involvement in a transit diversion scheme at the Akanu and Aflao border posts.
On February 18, 2026, the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), through its Customs Division, intercepted the trucks carrying assorted goods, including cooking oil, spaghetti, and tomato paste, declared for transit to Niger.
The consignment was declared to be 44,055 packages weighing 879,860 kilogrammes.
Investigations and field intelligence revealed that the trucks were moving without the mandatory Customs Human Escorts required for transit consignments.
The vehicles had earlier been cleared from the Akanu Border Post for transit through the Eastern Corridor, with exit at Kulungugu en route to Niger under Bill of Entry (BOE) Number 80226125039.
Twelve of the 18 trucks have since been impounded, with 11 currently secured at the Tema Transit Yard for detailed inspection, investigations and further legal action.
One truck overturned while attempting to evade interception, spilling its cargo, while the remaining six are being actively pursued.
Initial suspended duties and taxes were estimated at GH¢2,619,748.81.
However, post-interception examinations revealed discrepancies in declared unit values, tariff classifications and weights.
“These irregularities significantly understated the tax liability and have revised the suspended revenue exposure to GH¢85,306,578.33,” Dr Forson said.
He directed the GRA to conduct comprehensive investigations and initiate disciplinary action against any Customs officers found culpable.
Criminal investigations would also be extended to importers and clearing agents where evidence supports prosecution.
Dr Forson further indicated that the impounded goods would be auctioned in accordance with the law.
Preliminary findings, he noted, point to systemic control weaknesses and possible human complicity.
He directed that all transactions originating from land collection points be subjected to enhanced monitoring, tracking and strict compliance enforcement to safeguard state revenue.
He called for the prompt implementation of disciplinary measures and legal prosecution of Customs officers found culpable in similar circumstances.
“The Government remains resolute in protecting local industry and jobs, while ensuring that Ghana’s customs regime is not exploited to undermine domestic revenue mobilisation and national development,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
‘You want us to do what ministries failed to do in 70 years?’ — Goosie Tanoh defends 24-Hour Economy
35 seconds -
MTN Ghana urges businesses to make sustainability a way of life, not just compliance
2 minutes -
George Geel Kutortse
8 minutes -
Ex-Zambian minister killed in security raid on opposition
8 minutes -
AG cannot represent Chief Justice in vacation trial case — Frank Davies questions AG’s role
8 minutes -
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
20 minutes -
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
25 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
31 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
34 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
37 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
38 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
42 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
42 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
43 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
49 minutes